Is regular stock different than replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by woodtrain54, Jun 25, 2009.

1. woodtrain54 macrumors newbie

My 3G S has a yellow screen, as well as an extremely inaccurate GPS. I called my nearest Apple store and talked to them about replacement phones and made a genius bar appointment. However, I asked them on the phone if they had any replacement phones in stock and the lady didn't know what I was talking about. My question is, they usually give replacement phones in just a white box right? And do they usually have extras available primarily for replacements? I didnt have a 3G, but I had to get my 2G replaced twice and both times they always had replacements in stock. Thanks.

2. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

They usually do have replacements in stock. I had my 3G replaced twice and they just gave me a replacement phone on the spot both times.

3. jalpert macrumors 6502

If your going to replace your 3GS don't wait. Apple will replace it with a refurb but since the phone has been out less than 2 weeks it's safe to assume that there are no refurbs yet and you will get a new one.

4. woodtrain54 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks my appointment is for tomorrow so hopefully they still have new ones and not refurbs

5. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Someone else in another thread said you can tell by the serial numbers if it is new vs. refurb. New has a number that is 8xxxxxxx and refurb has 5xxxxxxx. I don't know if that is true or not though, so don't quote me on it. Just relaying information.

Also, yes, the Apple stores do keep separate stock for phone replacements. It is different from the stock that they sell to consumers.

6. chox99 macrumors regular

I can confirm (at least myself) refurbs are 5K*****.