is reinstalling os x my last option.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrwillt, Feb 16, 2010.

1. mrwillt macrumors newbie

i have just tried a legal version on final cut pro 7 and it runs very slow on my macbook pro. and so does my mac after i close the program and i mean very slow like it takes five mins for my curser to make the icons pop up.

i have run disk warrior and though i cant run the repair disk as it is my start up disk. but i did run the graph on disk warrior and it shows that my disk is 42% ineffective.

thank you for your time.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You can run the repair disk if you boot to your DiskWarrior DVD.

3. mrwillt thread starter macrumors newbie

how exactly do i do that as i think this is what got me into this situation, not doing things correctly....

thank you

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Insert the disc warrior DVD (or cd, not sure which it is), go to "startup disc" in system preferences, and choose it as the boot disc, then hit restart.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Or, with the disk already inserted, reboot while holding the "C" key. That forces the machine to look at the optical drive as the startup volume.

6. mrwillt thread starter macrumors newbie

there is another problem. the disk drive on my mac is very temperamental. it only works once in a blue moon as it usually just spits out the disk after wurring for a while. i can get it to work but its taken a day before. so with that on board is refomatting my only option or can i fix the drive at no cost, no i expect.

7. mrwillt thread starter macrumors newbie

there is another problem. the disk drive on my mac is very temperamental. it only works once in a blue moon as it usually just spits out the disk after wurring for a while. i can get it to work but its taken a day before. so with that on board is reformatting my only option or can i fix the drive at no cost, no i expect.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Whether you run DiskWarrior or reinstall, you'll still need to boot from the optical drive.

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Or you can copy the OS disc or disc warrior disc to a firewire (or USB) drive and boot from it.

10. DanTehMan macrumors newbie

If your optical drive isn't reading disks properly it will be hard to make an image of something. You should try cleaning your disk drive. If its temperamental it may just have dust in the optical sensor. 5 dollar fix.