Is Remote Desktop for Mac free?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by I Need a Drink, Feb 6, 2015.

1. I Need a Drink macrumors member

Let me preface by saying I'm new to Mac. I noticed that when I updated to 10.10.2 and again today on it's own, the app store had me update the Remote Desktop Client. When I go to my Applications folder I can't find this app and when I search it shows up on the App Store for $80.00. Why am I being asked to update an app that I presumably don't even have? Am I missing something?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The client portion comes with OSX, the actual application that does the remote control is not.

If you want remote control apps, then look at TeamViewer, its free and platform independent, i.e, it runs on windows, OSX etc.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There are three parts to "Apple Remote Desktop"

1. The 'server' side - this is what each machine runs that allows OTHER machines to reach in and control it. This is built in to OS X. This is in System Preferences, under Sharing. You can have it share with the stock Apple Remote Desktop protocol, or with the open VNC protocol (which requires an extra step to enable because Apple doesn't support the secure version.)

2. The 'simple client' side - this is what you run on a remote machine to connect to machine #1 - OS X comes with it built-in, but it's hidden by default. It is an app called simply "Screen Sharing.app" in /System/Library/Core Services/Applications (in Yosemite - in earlier versions it's in just /System/Library/Core Services.) I make an alias to it in my main Applications folder. This client can connect to machines running either the Remote Desktop or VNC protocols. (In fact, from Safari, you can launch it directly by using a URL such as vnc://servername ) This is also the app that is launched if you use the network browser in the OS X Finder to see a system on the local network, and click "Share Screen" on it.

3. The 'complex management' software - this is the $80 package. This allows for not just viewing and controlling the desktop remotely, but for easy management of many machines remotely, including pushing out software packages (want to install Pixelmator on 10 systems at once? You can with this.) It allows you to view thumbnails of many systems screens simultaneously. It allows you to remotely connect, and lock the local screen and keyboard! (Useful if you run a computer lab, and need to change a setting and you don't want the local user to see what you're doing - they will see a gray screen with "this computer is being controlled remotely" or some similar message.)

For home, and even very small business/education environments, the built in components in #1 and 2 above are probably fine. #3, the paid software, is for larger/more complex management scenarios, like computer labs or corporate computer management.

4. Thunderboltedge macrumors regular

Thunderboltedge

I am quite sure that step 1, the sharing option built-in OSx is not working since the upgrade to Yosemite. At least that's what I am experiencing along many other users.
    For what I know Apple is still working on this bug, but I am pleased if someone could manage to make it work.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've used it numerous times just fine between two Yosemite computers, and between Yosemite and Lion computers.

6. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

If anything, in my experience screen sharing has been better in Yosemite than it was prior. Maybe it is just me but it seems to connect faster.

Michael

7. kaelell macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about what the paid option gives you, but for basic functionality I recently set up my machines at home with the standard built in yosemite options, so that I can remote access and view/control the screen of my iMac via my macbook and vice versa. It was in the sharing options.