Is "reserve in store" legit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beez13, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Beez13 macrumors member

Beez13

Hi everyone,

Every other year, I wake up at 3 am EST and order a new iPhone to be shipped to me. This time around, my contract with ATT doesn't expire until Sept. 12th. So, I will be waking up tomorrow morning to reserve the iPhone 7 for in store pick up. When I do that, I will pick it up next Friday and sell my iPhone 6 Plus back to Apple for store credit. I have never picked one up. If I reserve it online, am I guaranteed one next Friday or do they run out even if reserved? Thanks

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

If you reserve it and show up within the scheduled window you will have your phone waiting for you.

3. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

The issue you have with your contract not being done until the 12th is going to have the same effect on reserving it for in store pickup as it does for the 3am preorder.

4. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I was wondering the same and chatted with an Apple rep earlier. They said, "Okay, so first things first, if you preorder the iPhone 7 Plus, it will be held for you at the Apple Store so that basically confirms a phone being available for you."

So, it looks like it'll have our names on it and they'll be there waiting for us.

5. Beez13 thread starter macrumors member

Beez13

But won't I be eligible for the discounted rate once I arrive on the 16th? They will see that my contract is up for ATT?

6. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

The term "reserve for in store pickup" is somewhat misleading. It should be called "buy online for in store pickup". The process is exactly like ordering it online to be shipped to your home except you go to the store and pick it up. You won't be able to do that if your ineligible for an upgrade because of your current contract. Are you utilizing ATT next or buying it at full retail?

7. Nino313 macrumors member

Last year they didn't do anything with the account until you went to the store and picked it up. I was in the same predicament and it worked out fine

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Call AT&T and have them adjust your availability to the 12th. A lot of times they will do that if your account is in good standings.

9. StarShot macrumors 6502

StarShot

Unless your plan requires you to turn your old phone in, why use it as a store credit? I think I saw that Apple is giving a credit of $250. Last week I sold my previous iP6S for $500 on eBay.