Is Restore the same as Superduper or CC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

Hi. I bought a large backup ext HD. I was going to get Superduper. But I was looking through David Pogues 'OSX Missing Manual' book and it says that using the disk utilities <restore> function, set to a destination disk, does the same job as these third party clone apps.......invisible files and all that stuff.

Is this true? I realize that SD or CC probably has a lot more options and schedulers and stuff, but can you use Restore to clone a HD?

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If all you want to do is clone one drive to another and you're not cloning your boot drive then yes, Disk Utility's Restore will work fine.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

Using the restore function I've cloned and then booted from boot drives plenty of times, no problems.

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I was under the impression Restore needed to unmount the source drive, but maybe I'm mistaken?

It's been a long time since I used it last, so I'm probably wrong...

5. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

We are at an impasse.... ;)

But, yes, I'm looking to clone both my macbooks internal boot drive as well as an external with all my audio files on it..among other things...

6. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I can't recall now either, it's been a while for me too, though I know I've done it. Maybe I had to boot into my emergency firewire boot volume first.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think its the same for CCC, SD and DU. To clone a boot drive you need to unmount it. CCC and SD can do a thorough and bootable copy of the drive (without unmount).