Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
Hi. I bought a large backup ext HD. I was going to get Superduper. But I was looking through David Pogues 'OSX Missing Manual' book and it says that using the disk utilities <restore> function, set to a destination disk, does the same job as these third party clone apps.......invisible files and all that stuff.

Is this true? I realize that SD or CC probably has a lot more options and schedulers and stuff, but can you use Restore to clone a HD?

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Is this true? I realize that SD or CC probably has a lot more options and schedulers and stuff, but can you use Restore to clone a HD?

If all you want to do is clone one drive to another and you're not cloning your boot drive then yes, Disk Utility's Restore will work fine.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Using the restore function I've cloned and then booted from boot drives plenty of times, no problems.

I was under the impression Restore needed to unmount the source drive, but maybe I'm mistaken?

It's been a long time since I used it last, so I'm probably wrong...

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
We are at an impasse.... ;)

But, yes, I'm looking to clone both my macbooks internal boot drive as well as an external with all my audio files on it..among other things...

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
I was under the impression Restore needed to unmount the source drive, but maybe I'm mistaken?

It's been a long time since I used it last, so I'm probably wrong...

I can't recall now either, it's been a while for me too, though I know I've done it. Maybe I had to boot into my emergency firewire boot volume first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.