Is restoring to factory settings with iTunes better than within the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PedroRVD, Dec 23, 2013.

1. PedroRVD macrumors newbie

After so many years of betas and something... I finally restored my iPhone to factory settings directly within the phone a month ago. iOS 7 is doing better now :)

My question is.... Should I have done that with iTunes? Is it better doing the restore with iTunes or it is the same?

I really thought I could restore to factory settings without a computer and it would be a shame to have to do it again after I wiped all my content and started from zero :(

Im asking because everything has improved...except battery life which is the same as before (6 hours and a half on 3G)

Thank you very much

(Excuse me for my english, I speak spanish)

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Erase all content and settings on the phone does just that, erase all your content and settings. It is not the same as restoring through iTunes. Restoring through iTunes installs a fresh copy of iOS on your device, which helps in case anything has gotten corrupt. It will reinstall iOS completely, erasing everything on the phone as well.

3. PedroRVD thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no...just what I feared :(

The problem is that I live in Ecuador and internet here is TERRIBLE. So it took DAYS to download every app again...and almost a week to download all my songs from iTunes Match.

I wish iCloud at least stored all my passwords and login information (without the need to restore from an iCloud backup) for all the apps I have because initial configuration for every app also takes several time after a clean install...

Well, I will restore it again now with iTunes. But before I will transfer all purchases and apps from my iPhone to iTunes.

Is it right if I manually sync every app I had after doing a clean install to the iPhone so I don't have to download everything again? No bad data is stored when I sync those apps to iTunes, right?

Thank you very much for your help.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Honestly I wouldn't bother at all. iOS 7.1 should be released in a month or so which has pretty significant battery improvements.

But if you really want to restore now, yes, sync apps and all that with iTunes, backup to iTunes, and then restore from that. Much faster and less downloading than restoring from iCloud backup or downloading all your apps again.