Is Retina Display bad for the iPhone 4???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by crackbookpro, Jun 8, 2010.

1. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

Could the retina display slowdown download speeds?

I'm, by no means an engineer, but in a certain sense with rendering higher pixelated images, this makes sense to me...

No? :confused:

Maybe the new OS will help with the rendering... I dunno. :cool:

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it were on a device that wasn't designed with it in mind, maybe but I almost doubt it.

3. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

It would have nothing to do with download speeds. There's a reason the A4 processor is in there. Nothing will be slown down, but they will speed up.

4. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I doubt it. The web page is serving the same page no matter what you got. It's how the OS interprets the image and displays it from what Steve said yesterday. That could change however if the site is coded for iPhone 4 and wants to push higher rest images.

As for app sizes, i bet you it will be slightly bigger and take longer to download since they would be using higher resolution images.

5. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

I'm guessing the new iOS 4 takes care of it... Would like to see a test done with the 3Gs & an iPhone 4 neck & neck.

6. EllieV macrumors 6502

Wasn't there one on the WWDC keynote?

7. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I think what you mean is: Driving a higher rez display WILL tax the CPU, graphics chip, and RAM more (but not download speed itself).

It's like if you ever configured a PC game with high-end graphics like Crysis. The higher you set the resolution, the choppier the frame rate unless you dial back other quality settings (assuming your PC isn't a super high end one).

I am seeing this a bit with RAM on my iPad. It can't open as many Safari tabs at once without triggering reloads of the old ones as my 3GS can. I'm hoping OS 4 will optimize that some.

My feeling is the iPhone 4 is optimized to compensate for that. All the early impressions I've read say it's snappier than the 3GS. The 256 MB of RAM will be pushed a little harder though.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

Yea, that's why Apple decided to use it.....because it slows down their new flagship product, the iPhone 4. :rolleyes:

9. Mugambo macrumors 6502

Mugambo

This question is like, "will I get good grades if I learn to eat faster?"

10. crackbookpro thread starter macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

exactly :rolleyes:

11. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm guessing you're one of those "glass half empty" people. [​IMG]