Is retina display worth an MBP change?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tenashus1, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I have presently a mid 2012, 13" MBP loaded with a core i7, 16gb of ram, and a 512gb ssd, and I can choose to open my case to make future changes to the ssd. the computer works fine for my purposes. So, my question is a simple one. Does the lack of a retina display mean that I am truly lacking something absolutely significant in my MBP experience, or is it just a nice thing to have. I don't do any intensive graphic work, or play a lot of games, but I do read a lot on the internet and often look at videos. Opinions?

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In your case, it's just a nice thing to have.

Unless you're working with photos, graphic design or other visual creative work, a retina display isn't absolutely necessary.

Don't get me wrong though, I have a retina MacBook Pro, and when I say "nice to have," I do mean nice. If you were to use it and then go back to a regular screen, you will notice the difference.

BUT, it's not a necessity, particularly for what you describe. If you're not ready to shell out cash on a new Mac, then you can and should stick with what you have.

3. Rockadile macrumors regular

Well...I would think that people doing intensive graphic work or video games use an external monitor and the ones using the laptop screen is mostly internet browsing and video like you.

I will say go retina if you can afford the same specs or better as your current MBP.

4. mcarling macrumors 65816

I would never go back to a non-Retina display.

5. Anand953 macrumors regular

Well.. It's a "good to have" but not a "must have" for what you. Rest depends on you and your preferences. If you feel you need a retina display at any cost, go for the new one..

Else your current one is good to go for at least the next 2 years

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Since you do not do heavy work, that boils down to only if you want the latest and greatest, say the washout and buggy Yosemite...? That's because Yosemite look **** on non-Retina screens. Get a Retina, you're pretty much stuck with Yosemite should you regret and wish to downgrade...

Otherwise keep it until it dies... Your MBP has far better options and part replacements than a rMBP. I've got a 2010 MBP, gonna rock it until it gives out. Currently on 480GB SSD, maybe gonna plonk in a 2nd SSD via optibay. And 2 weeks ago I just changed the dying battery without Apple's intervention. All this you can't do on a Retina...

If you are getting a rMBP, let me know so that I can PM you my address and ship it over... :p:p

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Now that I've experienced retina, my eyes bleed a little every time I stare at a non-retina display.

Don't do it.

8. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I replaced my MBA with a rMBP and wanted to go to wipe my old MBA and the screen on the old devices look awful now! I dont think I could go back.

9. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I second this!

10. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

11. roncron macrumors member

Same here.

Switched from Air to rMBP.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One factor to consider is your eyesight. I personally can't see any difference between the non-retina and retina screens, either on Macs or iPads. I bought the retina MBP because it was the only choice available, considering other factors, but I certainly wouldn't buy a retina model just for the sake of the screen. YMMV

13. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I have my old MBA sitting next to my new rMBP and could probably never go back to the MBA screen..

14. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I have a mid-2010 MBPro that has been upgraded with an SSD and is still running fine.

Even though the retina display looks nice, I see no compelling reason to upgrade --- yet.

When it IS time, of course I'll get the retina display.
    But until then.... I can get by without it.

The OP looks to have spent considerable money getting his MBPro to where it is now.
    If he wishes to spend MORE $$$ for a retina -- well, depends on whether he cares about the cash, or not...

15. matrik macrumors newbie

I'm a developer so screen real estate is important for me. I upgraded to 2014 rMBP 15" from 2012 MBP 13" and never looked back. It's a big difference when you move from 1280x800 to 1920x1200, but it really depends on your use cases.