Is Retina Screen Really Better? HELL YES

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nostresshere, Aug 12, 2014.

1. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow. I moved from 2009 13" to 2013 15" MBP a week ago. Liked the new machine and did not think much about the screen at all.

Today I needed to do something on my wife's older (2011?) MBP.

Holy crap...that old screen really is different. I was just not aware of it, even when I had my two machines side by side during the transistion.

Okay... just had to share that for anyone thinking about it.

2. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yea there is a huge difference. The difference isn't as obvious when glancing at display models, but once you really use a retina, you can't go back.

3. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

This is so true!

We got a 15" rMBP for an office manager at work. She previously had two 19" LCDs attached to a desktop PC. We ditched one of the LCDs, and set it up with the remaining 19" as the main display, and the rMBP off to the side as a secondary display.

After a week, she moved the rMBP front and center because even though the 15" is a smaller screen, she found it so much more readable. Now she doesn't even like to look at the 19" display.

People who don't get the point of a retina screen either haven't spent significant time with one or must be oblivious or something.

4. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

Yeah! I just went from a 13-inch MacBook Air to a 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display, and the difference it huge. I design websites and apps for a living (mostly hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display) and it is great to be able to see an app in 1:1 and test websites at different resolutions. Didn't think the difference would be this big but man I was wrong!

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I have a 2010 MBP at home and use a 2014 rMBP at work, I can't use the 2010 without saying it's crap. :p

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Hey we may not agree on RAM but we sure do agree on retina being AMAZING:cool:

7. azure247 macrumors 6502

I had a 15 inch MBP retina and I didn't like it. First off, everything was tinier and secondly, there was lag when scrolling websites. Overall, I don't think retina is worth the extra cost. If more screen estate is needed, I plug into a monitor. Otherwise, the screen on my now, 11 MBA is just dandy.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

The website scroll lag annoys me, too. :mad:
    I went to the :apple:store a year ago and confronted them. I was able to reproduce it on all rmbps there. The "genius" admitted it was there and said I should talk to the technicians at :apple:. :(

But: For photo editing I could never go back to a mba. The retina is unbeatable for that :)

9. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

I don't understand that complaint.

If you were using it as intended (best scale for screen), everything would have been the exact same size as the non-Retina 15" screen, only the Retina screen is twice as sharp.

:confused:

10. Dahkot macrumors member

In regards to the website scrolling lag at times , I just got the new 2014 MB pro with the 750m and after I changed it to not do graphics switching and use only the 750m I can scroll through on safari significantly better.

Not sure what difference it makes on sites not using flash etc, but every single site I've tested it on is night/day difference as far as faster scrolling goes.

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

and..you can change the resolution while keeping the HiDPI retina sharpness...so it can be as tiny or as large as you want

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Let's just face it, the Iris/Iris Pro sometimes just isn't enough to drive all those pixels :)

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Agree. That poster just didn't read up on this in the online manual. All one has to do is change it. I'm 70 years old and can figure that one out :eek: ;)

14. racer1441 macrumors 68000

This is the truest thing ever said. Use a retina screen for two week and go back to the macbook air, your eyes will bleed.

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

So I was a long time cMBP user - been using my fully loaded High-Res Anti Glare 15" 2012 cMBP. Well decided to try out a 15" rMBP since I got a steal of a deal on one.

Screen - I can only echo the same words as the OP - WOW - AMAZING

16. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

As mentioned nothing is smaller when on default settings. What is this lag when scrolling? Safari? Chrome? My late 2013 15" doesn't lag at all using Iris Pro. Ever. Are you referring to the 13" 2012 by chance?

The screen IS amazing and using my MBA or other peoples PC's literally makes me wince. I have a 24" Apple display that I use for photo editing and other things and I literally have to put it 12" further away from me than the laptop so I don't notice the blurriness.

17. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

To be fair, on my 13" the iris can definitely feel jittery on chrome when you have the display set to "most workspace" (3360x2100), safari is better but still. That's a ton of pixels for an integrated GPU to push. Setting it down one setting makes it much more responsive.

18. MacInTO macrumors 65816

MacInTO

I did the same thing, except mine was a 2011.

The only thing that I did not like about the retina screen was the reflection. However, I applied an anti glare film and that problem was solved!

An amazing screen to look at!

19. 1madman1 macrumors regular

I've a pair of BTO 2012 15" MBP systems, a hi-res antiglare and a retina. They have identical specs. I personally much prefer the anti-glare in every way except weight. At the default scaling options the rMBP sizes everything too large, there is so much wasted potential screen real-estate. The rMBP also feels slower in everything, doubly so with the resolution scaling turned up. On top of that, it has poorer battery life, runs louder and hotter. I've also not been able to get used to it's shallower keyboard depth. I regret not returning it for a second anti glare unit.

20. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I have found the opposite results - however. I think I may have a problem with the cMBP. It has had the logic board replaced once already. Probably need them to check it out again.