Is rMBP 13 my machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yanni, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Yanni macrumors newbie

Yanni

Hello dear fellas, first time posting here so here is my dilemma ... I recently sold my MBA 13 2012 model I enjoyed portability but performance was an issue ( base model ). I
    I want to combine both portability and performance is the rMBP 13' my machine?

Thanks in advance

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It will have the portability - not much more power than the Air.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I had the i7 Air and replaced it with the base 13" rMBP. It was pretty much a lateral move in terms of power. The CPUs are even, and they both use the HD 4000 GPU.

The i7 in the higher-end 13" rMBP is a little more powerful, and probably about 20%-25% faster than what you had in the base Air, but if you were running something that needed significantly more CPU or GPU power, the 15" rMBP is a better choice because it has the quad-core processor and discrete GPU. In my case, I lost my 2012 Air and used my insurance proceeds to get the rMBP. Otherwise, I wouldn't have sold the Air. That said, there are nice things about the rMBP. The best is the screen. It really is nice.

4. Yanni thread starter macrumors newbie

Yanni

To be honest with you, I m thinking re-buying my air :-s ... But still need something MOAR powerful and IMO giving 1700$ for a dual core and 128 ssd is a total rip off.

Suggestions please?

5. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

If you really want "power" you may need the 15 rMBP. Portability is not bad IMHO - but coming from 13 Air you may think otherwise.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

What kind of programs do you run? Did the base Air seem very slow, or are you just looking for something that will give you a noticeable increase?

The 15" rMBP will give you a very noticeable increase, but it will weigh as much as the 13" cMBP and is also a bit more expensive (but not that much more than the 13" rMBP). It would be 50% heavier than the 13" MBA that you had before. If you think you can handle the extra weight, that might be the best choice.

7. Yanni thread starter macrumors newbie

Yanni

15 is way off my total budget. I m on 1700$ more or less ... Not that more lol

----------

Well I m not running heavy weight championship programs lol , but I would like to have that option for future use, buying a computer just for surfing is not considered as "smart buying"

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The only Macs at that level are the 13" Air with the i7, the base rMBP, or the classic MBP. However, with the latter, you would also need to get an SSD, or otherwise whatever you gain in terms of CPU power would be given right back because of the slower hard drive. For $1599 (US) you can get the classic MBP with a 128GB SSD and the 2.9GHz i7. That will be as fast as the souped up rMBP but will weigh 50% more than your MacBook Air. The i7 Air will have a faster processor than what you had, but again, it would only be about 10% faster for CPU-intensive tasks.

9. Yanni thread starter macrumors newbie

Yanni

So in other words you're saying rMBP 13 is the best choice for my budget right?

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Yup

11. Yanni thread starter macrumors newbie

Yanni

Thanks for your time guys! rMBP it is then :)

12. KPOM macrumors G5

Strictly from a budget perspective, the cMBP would be the most effective, since you can get the i7 cMBP with a 128GB SSD for $100 less than the base rMBP with the i5. That said, the rMBP has the advantages of lower weight and a nicer screen. The maximum resolution of the cMBP is 1280x800 vs. the 1440x900 of your 13" Air. The rMBP at its native resolution of 2560x1600 has the same screen real estate as the 1280x800 cMBP, but you can change it to mimic 1440x900 or 1650x1080, though the performance will be lower.

13. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

For $1.8K, you can get a far better MBP (15"; spec-wise) than you can for a 13" rMBP.

14. Stetrain, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Refurbished 15" Retina for $1869
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A

You could also get a 2012 15" non-retina for $1529:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A/

There are also sometimes pretty decent prices on the Air and 13" RMBP if you poke around in the refurbished section.

Edit: Just noticed you aren't in the US, so those might not work.

15. ryanrhod macrumors member

I just got a refurb 13 rMBP for $1439, super happy with it so far. Definitely a big savings over the list $1699.

I would love to have the power of the 15, but I really need the portability of the 13, and I'm happy with this as the best computer for me right now. I strongly suspect I'll be tempted to sell it and upgrade when the next revision comes out though.

16. Krauser macrumors regular

This makes the most sense to me. A base 13" Retina isn't going to give you much of a bump from an i7 Air. If you can give up a little portability (and if you're serious about getting that work done quickly) a refurbished 15" cMBP is the best bet. Under 1600 for a machine that has the processing power and discrete graphics of the 15" retina is as good as you're going to get... and let's face it, this may be the last generation you'll be able to find the performance that cheaply as the regular MacBooks are probably going the way of the dodo. If I were you, I'd get the refurbished 15" and get all the work I needed to get done as efficiently as I could for the cheapest price I could find it at. A refurbished 15" cMBP is the best machine for that need.

17. KPOM macrumors G5

Nice. It didn't take long for the first batch of refurbished 13" rMBPs to sell out. I think it would be a good option for the OP when they return.

18. el-John-o macrumors 65816

One of the biggest performance caveats to any MBA and any 13" MBP (retina or otherwise) is it's lack of discrete graphics, and lack of a quad core CPU. I own and love my 13" MBP, but that's because it fits like a glove and does what I need it to do, most of the high end stuff I do on a quad core desktop.

That said, the retina is cool, but budget wise you really may be better off with a classic. It's up to you, of course, but for $1,800 you could get;

The same 13" form factor MacBook Pro;
    13" non-Retina MacBook Pro: $1200
    512GB Crucial SSD: $400
    16GB of RAM: $100

That puts you at $1700 for a machine that will perform as well or better than the retina, with more storage and more RAM than what you'll end up with for $1,800. This is the configuration I went with.

OR, you could move on to the 15" for a boost in performance (Quad Core + GPU)

15" non-Retina MacBook Pro:
    15" non-Retina MacBook Pr: $1500
    256GB Crucial SSD: $200
    16GB of RAM: $100

Here you have a real performer for $1800 that will be a champ, and run CIRCLES around ANY configuration of 13" retina or non retina. Of course, you give up a certain amount of portability, so that's up to you. I think the 13 fits like a glove, but the above listed system would scream. If you need more storage, you have two options. One is to buy an optical drive hard drive bay ($20) and put the stock drive in there as a second 500GB drive (or even configure it as a 'fusion drive'). The second is to simply up your budget $200 to get you to the 512GB mark. You could also save a little bit by not upgrading the RAM and sticking with 8GB, then you're at $1900 for a 15" non Retina with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM.

Just my $0.02!

19. Yanni, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

Yanni thread starter macrumors newbie

Yanni

Couldn't agree more but... 15 non retina weights 2 times an air plus it's more like a desktop to me :p well tbh with you I m seriously thinking to re-buy my MBA or go for an iMac 27" and buy a windows netbook for the portability i m seeking or go for rMBP 13' or wait for the next refresh. It's really hard to find a suitable laptop if u were on a MBA b4.

20. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Try the 13". That's what I use. If performance isn't a paramount concern, it does quite well and is nice and portable!

I'm with you. I don't like big laptops either. 13-14" is perfect IMO.