Is rMBP redesign coming March?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrisfromalbany, Feb 3, 2016.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

Will we know there is a redesign of the current rMBP before it is released? Was there hints for 15inch or the 13inch before the release? The talk of an event in March is now on table but there been no spy shots nor anyone saying the would event cover rMBP redesign. So left believing we aren't getting an update in March.. so the JULY event or later.

2. Pearl-g macrumors newbie

Isn't the skylake processors going to be in the new rMBP's? either way, i need a new one pretty bad lol

3. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

I know this isn't the new iphone but don't we usually see leaks before a redesign of a MB? I could wait until March but if it is July then might buy one now.

4. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

If there is a redesign, which is well overdue, then the Macbook might be the template.

5. strukt, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

strukt macrumors regular

strukt

I would rather see that they keep the current form factor and cram in as much high performance GPUs and CPUs as possible. But they won't do that. They will make it even thinner, make the thinness a selling point and compromise on speed / performance.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Personally I don't think there will be a redesign but I seem to be in the minority here, although I also think there is a lot of wishful thinking on these forums that bear little resemblance to reality....

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't see how there could not be a re-design - although it may not be as soon as March. The MBP has had the same form factor since 2012, which itself was only a facelift of the 2008 design. For the past few years it got away without a cosmetic update because it was still slimmer lighter and better made than pretty much anything else out there. That has changed in the past year or so though, and while they are still fantastic computers, they are showing their age design-wise. With improvements that have become available in the last 3-4 years they should be able to build a 13" Pro that is closer to the footprint of an old 12" design, while getting under 3lbs of total weight.

The combination of factors (age, improvements to screen and battery tech, improvements to the Intel platform, competition from other manufacturers) make it the right time for a re-design. That's why it's expected soon.

8. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I think we'll see smaller bezel, usb c ports and a move to 14" and 16" display.

But not in March. 14" maybe; a wait for the larger 16".

[i also think we'll see the arrival of the 14" macbook and the discontinuation of the Air range.]

9. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

If you can wait till March, then wait.
    If it hasn't been refreshed until then, deals will most likely be even better in four or five weeks than they are now.

10. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

What gets me is there's nothing said about possible new computers. Nothing! Macrumors has nothing to say on the subject. Like, they don't even matter any more. Just iPad and iPhone. Very disappointing

11. lysingur, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016

lysingur macrumors regular

lysingur

If a Skylake rMBP is ever going to be released in the first quarter of 2016, we should see several new model numbers in the next El Capitan update, i.e. 10.11.4. It makes sense that rMBP updates have been so infrequent – Intel chips themselves haven't seen significant speed bumps for a good couple of years, more so in the laptop department than desktop.

Skylake isn't going to be that much faster than the latest rMBP. What's worth keeping an eye on is the kind of connectivity that Apple chooses to keep and phase out (going all USB-C?)

With Ive at the helm, you can bet on rMBP to be still getting thinner but most likely no major design overhaul. Laptops are going the way of desktops. Expect major redesign every 4 years.

12. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'll be ready in March, much more likely in a June event.

13. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Well, we'll see. AFAIK, the 13" is the most sold model. Or at least, it has the largest 2nd hand market here.
    I would think it would make most sense to update it regularly.
    Also, historically it has been updated at least yearly - often at shorter intervals (late '12, early '13, late '13, mid '14, early '15 - though some of those were just refreshs).
    So, an updated 13" would surprise me least.
    Not sure about the 12" and the rest (though, because the 15" is still on Haswell, it would probably benefit most from a simple perception point of view).
    Speed-wise, the update is almost a no-op, I agree. But the GPUs are much better.
    People with a 2013 and up can probably wait out Kaby Lake and maybe even Cannonlake.

14. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Those sizes are amazing, an upgrade to a 14 from 13, and a 16" from 15. Now a 16 inch, super thin would really trip my trigger, AND look amazing on my 36" Anthro Cart, I'll take 3 please!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---
    Redesign will be a go, along with the MBA Twins, Twins get Retina,Ubc, Pro's get OLED, UBc, new keyboard,trackpad, 8/16/32/64 Super Speed Ram, 256/512/1 T SSD's, with options for 2/3 T SSD's..........

And then I woke up, CRAP!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2016 ---
    PersonLly, I am sick of the Skylake games, the closer Apple gets to making their own chips, the better I'd like it

15. Arthur75 macrumors 6502

Arthur75

Would like to know the answer as well ! :)
    Need to change my MBP (end 2010 or something), and on the verge of buying a current one 13 retina or waiting for the next one ...

16. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

For me, the iMacs are so ugly that I hope any redesign will signal an improvement to those.

17. omnimoeish macrumors member

Still rocking my early 15" 2010 MBP. I guess I can wait until June but I've already been checking macrumors every day for the past 6 months for leaks or rumors of an update so I can finally go retina.

18. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

If I remember correctly, the keyboard comes from the same piece of aluminium as the iMac (from the display cutout), so it could be that the new keyboard has been redesigned along with a change to the iMac.

19. hajime macrumors 68040

20. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

I'd be down for either a gold or space gray unit if one was to ever make its way to us.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2016 ---
    I've also been debating on the wait but after reading about a potential "staggered" launch it got me to thinking we might not see the new refreshed models till June or July which to me personally is still quite a bit of a ways out from now.

21. izzyfanto macrumors regular

izzyfanto

My 2012 MBA is still rocking, but I need to get something with more juice and hp and give this MBA to my wife for simple spreadsheets, recipes and web browsing.

The rMB just don't have the performance, the MBA doesn't have Retina, and the MBP doesn't have the portability/lightness. The rMB and MBA need to merge into one, or they need to release a rMBA! I was very tempted by the rMB sale at B&H due to the sleekness and screen, but I ultimately just decided to grit my teeth and wait, wait, wait! I have a gut feeling these next MB lineups are gonna be worth the wait! :)

22. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

Performance improvements in the Skylake series are certainly most substantial in the slowest parts of Intel's lineup (compared with Haswell/Broadwell).
    There are already notebook with these updated chips (Core-M3) e.g. from Asus, so you can read these reviews.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its anyone's guess at this point and with March 18 under a month away at this point, I recommend waiting and seeing it can't hurt at this stage.

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The only current laptop with anything approaching what will go in the rMBP's is the new Sony Vaio and it comes out next week and has no reviews yet.

25. iTeachMath macrumors regular

I too have a 2010 15" MBP, it runs good. It is slow with a few apps, but very agile for the office basics that I use it for. For the past two years I've been saying that "this will be the year I upgrade." Held off last year and I might hold off again. We'll see how significant the refresh is.