Is rMBP worth it for a web and graphics designer?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by definitive, Jun 23, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I do a lot of work with Illustrator, InDesign, some Photoshop and web. Are there any disadvantages in working on a retina display, especially in how things will be displayed?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No because you have plenty of choices for display so you can approximate 1920x1200 or other resolutions with scaling.

The Retina MBP actually gives more flexibility to the web programmer IMO.

3. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

But doesn't 1920x1200 cause all the text to appear tiny on the 15" screen? This is one of the two concerns I'm having since I want to buy a new laptop right now - Higher res causing fonts to appear small compared to my 24" iMac, and web and graphics apps displays everything pixelated on retina screen.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

1920x1200 would be fairly small on a 15" screen, but in reality I doubt there's a significant difference from the 27" iMac. Your 24" iMac has a lower density screen, however, so there will be a difference. You need to design with a variety of screen sizes and densities in mind anyways, though, so I would just make sure you're using percent or em values for font sizes and they will adjust properly anyways.

jW

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I think your money would be better spent on a macbook air and an external display.

6. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

I am more interested in a laptop with a dedicated gpu (for occasional gaming)