Is Rogers Bs'ing Me?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mackid16, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mackid16 macrumors member

mackid16

I went to the rogers store this morning TRYING to get a voice plan :((which is possible!!!) and all they did was give me a huge sob story on how im gonna spend 5000$ per month on data. I told them that i dont need data because i have wifi at home. but they said that it dosnt matter. "just by using the camera,calculator and calender will use data even when your connected to wifi.(none of which use wifi).

can anyone help. please:confused::confused:

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Right...calculator uses data? What a load of BS.

They are BS'ing you.

In the iPhone's menu, there's a very clearly option to SWITCH OFF 3G! That way you will only use WiFi.

3. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

It appears camera uses data...

I had the Fido people disable 3G and EDGE and right now I'm not in a WiFi spot and I opened up camera and it told me the 'camera would like to find your current location' deal and then I checked my usage under network settings and It turns out I received 1 KB of data?

What the hell is this?

I thought when I got 3G and EDGE disabled this kind of stuff wouldn't happen...

4. antibact1 macrumors 6502

Camera geotags your photos so it tries to determine your location. Regardless of what it says you received, if you confirm that you cannot access data through Safari or other applications, data must be disabled and the reporting must be wrong.

5. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

It seems EDGE isn't disabled. I just opened up safari and it loaded. When I called Fido the other day they confirmed that the block had worked. I guess I'll have to call them again tonight after work.

So if 3g and EDGE is truly disabled and I try to access data the network usage will still say that there was data sent and recieved even though I was never connected and therefore will not be charged for it?

I know there are a few more settings to ensure that I do not send or recieve any data like auto retrieving mail manually, turning 3g off, data roaming off, what other settings do I have to enable/disable/set so that I can prevent this from happening?

And is there a way to prevent this geotaging feature in camera and any other such feature which could be disabled in similar applications? I have the location services off but it keeps coming on I think when applications like camera ask me if I want it to determine my location.