is rosseta needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zoran, Dec 2, 2010.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

im working on MacOSX 10.6.4 and i want to install Adobe CS2, will i need rosseta? And if so, why?

2. simsaladimbamba

Adobe CS2 was released in 2005, when Universal Binaries (applications which are able to run on PPC and Intel Macs) were not even thought of (in public), therefore CS2 was written for Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 and PPC Macs. And Rosetta helps you running PPC applications on Intel Macs.

That's at least what Apple is telling us: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

so i have to install it s required when trying to make the installation, right?

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, as you have an Intel Mac, a Intel-only Mac OS X version and want to install a five year old software which uses a completely different architecture and Rosetta is there to translate between Intel and PPC.

I have Rosetta installed and I fell no slowdown because of it, if that is what you are afraid of. The PPC software will not run at full speed though, as an additional layer has been integrated between software and CPU.

5. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

will there be any known problems if i have on the same mac (iMac) both cs2 and cs5, any issues?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just use CS5? :confused:

CS5 can do everything CS2 can and more.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

i have to use both because at work i have cs2 and at home cs5, so question still remains, can i use both on one configuration? and will i have any problems?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best way, to confirm if it works is to try it.

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Adobe Creative Suite editions usually exist quite happily alongside each other. I have CS4 (InDesign) and CS5 (Design Premium, including InDesign) existing happily alongside each other (I need ID CS4 for client compatibility). Previously I had CS2 (Premium) and CS4 (ID) alongside, on a PPC machine.

I would always install the older version first, get it completely up to date with any software updates, then install the newer version.

That said, you may find various bugs running CS2 on Snow Leopard anyway, because it was designed for Panther (and updated for Tiger) and is not supported beyond that.

10. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

ok, what bout uninstalling cs2? will it unistall any files important for cs5 to work?

11. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

No. They are entirely separate from one another.

12. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

May be worth checking your installed fonts. And back up everything anyway before uninstalling in case of mishap.