Is running 3 external displays reliable? (Macbook Pro Retina)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanschmidt, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ryanschmidt macrumors member

A few years ago I purchased my Mac Pro solely to run 3 displays. I've seen evidence that the new Macbook Pro Retina can run 3 external displays so I am considering the upgrade. It would be the perfect setup for me if it works well.

I have seen videos showing that it's possible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJhvyLB_Tbw) but I've never seen anyone talk about actually using it this way for an extended period of time.

Has anyone done this reliably? This will be a work machine and 3 displays is essential so I'm trying to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep it'll be reliable, providing they're all thunderbolt displays (or mini displayport ones at the end).

If you're pushing alot of pixels (like 3 27"s), don't expect amazing performance though. For general office work though, it's fine.

3. ryanschmidt thread starter macrumors member

They are not Thunderbolt displays. It's 1 26 and 2 24's that can be connected via DVI or HDMI. My plan was to get 2 DVI -> mDP adapters and a DVI -> HDMI adapter (because I read somewhere that HDMI -> HDMI on the rMBP is fuzzy.

I am not doing any heavy graphics. I'm a software developer/designer so it's just a bunch of text editors and Photoshop.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Hmm I forgot about the HDMI port! Should still be fine though :).

5. ryanschmidt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Brian! I appreciate the input but I would really like to hear from someone that currently uses this setup. I've done a lot of research (shy of buying one and actually trying it, which is what I'm doing next) and have not found anyone provide any hands-on feedback from their personal experience.

Is anyone using this setup? Could you let me know how it's working for you?