Is running the latest iOs on a device best?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Liquinn, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Is running the latest iOs on a device best or is using the iOs that came with device came with the best thing to use?

2. newellj macrumors 601

Depends on what you want.

Security: best to run the latest.
    Speed: generally best with the original.
    Features: depends. "Multitasking" features will require you to update to iOS 9.
    Apps: some apps will not update (so you will not get latest features) without later/latest iOS version, and other apps may not install at all.

There is no single correct answer for every case. I have five iOS devices running three different versions of iOS: 7.1.2, 8.4.1 and PB 9.1.

3. wksj macrumors member

I either run the latest version (sometimes even betas), or the latest jailbreakable version.

4. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

This is good because then a person doesn't get bored of the same iOS. :)

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Just upgrade it already. How many threads do you need on this? :p

Though if you want to compromise on these two then wait for others with your device to upgrade and see what the trend is.

6. newellj macrumors 601

I definitely agree with that. Both, actually. ;)

7. deany macrumors 68020

deany

looking at your very impressive list of apple devices, if it was me I would update them all to latest os except your ipad 1

8. Skyhawk21 macrumors regular

No, upgrading to a new version of an operating system with so many problems is not a good idea. Even funnier, you cannot downgrade once you find out the hard way by experiencing all the IOS 9 issues firsthand!

9. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I still haven't got the latest iPhone, iPad mini or iPad Pro. Yet. :(

10. Skyhawk21 macrumors regular

THEN STOP ALREADY with the pointless threads!

11. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I think 1 os upgrade is fine.

Running ios7 on my iPad mini first gen

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I think the ideal answer is what newellj gave you. Nevertheless, practices differ according to personal experience. Since my iPhone 3G became absolutely unusable some years ago after 4.2.1, I decided not to update as performance and reliability is more important to me than some new functions. So, I prefer to stick with the original version of iOS.

13. newellj macrumors 601

I did something close to that with an iPhone 4S for a long time (though not nearly as long). The tension is that if you keep the original or a nears-original version of iOS on the phone, you start to run into apps that won't update (so you "lose" new app functionality) or new apps that won't install because they need a higher version of iOS. There's no right answer for these issues, just factors for people to consider when they decide to update or not. Mostly, though, I don't think most people think about these things.

14. Ulenspiegel, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Absolutely true. This is the situation when we have to weigh our options. Usually ending up buying the new version of the device. ;)