Is running Windows through virtualization my only option?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machomer, Aug 29, 2007.

1. machomer macrumors regular

I need to use Microsoft Project, and three add-ins (Premium Solver, Crystal Ball, Sensitivity Analysis Tool Kit) for Microsoft Excel. I am currently using the open office as a replacement for MS Office.

I'm not sure what my options are at this point. It doesn't look like there is a Mac version of MS Project.

Am I forced to buy virtualization programs such as Parallels or VMWare to run Windows and MS office? If so, which do you guys recommend?

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could use boot camp, that's free. Although you still need a copy of windows to install it.

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Which Mac do you have?

If it's an Intel Mac, you don't have to buy anything. You can use CrossOver or Parallels or VMWare Fusion if you want, but you can also just download Boot Camp and reboot into Windows when you need to use Project.

All of these solutions presume that you have a full, valid license to Windows--if you do not, you will have to buy that regardless of the path you choose.

4. machomer thread starter macrumors regular

It's a MBP.

Either way I would have to purchase a valid Windows OS. Do they even sell the XP version anymore?

If I go with the bootcamp, will I need to partition my HD? I already have some files stored, so would I need to reinstall the Mac OS to partition the drive?

Does windows run at normal speeds with bootcamp vs the other virtualization softwares?

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Of course, and you can get a good deal at Newegg.com (and similar sites).
    Yes, but it is non-destructive. You only need to have enough free space to create the partition. All of your files will remain intact.
    Yes. When booted into Windows, your Mac is a Windows PC in every measurable way. This means that it runs at full speed with all features, but it also means you're vulnerable to viruses and all the other attendant Windows crap.

6. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli