Is S4 cellular reception any better than S3 cellular reception?

Adnanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
The owners who have upgraded from S3 cellular to S4 cellular did you notice any network signal/reception improvement?

I am currently using S3 cellular in 42mm. Will be going to a new work setting next year to a place where I am not allowed to take phone but watch would be fine. Everyday 4-5 hours I will relying on the watch for mostly imessage to keep in touch with the family. The network on that place is also not great, some places inside the building it struggles to get network at all. So within 4 hours, I have seen drastic battery drop during my orientation day but was able to manage my hours at least.

I had no plans to upgrade to a S4 but if it offers better reception compared to a S3 which will also positively impact on battery life, I would probably buy it as it will be worth the upgrade when I will be using this feature 4 times a week, 4 hours each day.

I would appreciate any input if you have the experience I am looking for.

Thanks!

Cervontez

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
I noticed that it connects to LTE faster and it appears to hold a stronger signal. I used to have to wait about a minute for my S3 to connect. S4 is within a few seconds.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Yea for me it greatly improves it - near immediate transition to LTE versus a minute trying to find a signal before. I’m getting signals in elevators and other areas I didn’t before. Much better for me at least.

Adnanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Definitely. Only problem now is my family and my boss can reach me.....
If you don’t want to be reached you can keep it aeroplane mode. Why did you ge the cellular version in first place as you don’t want be reached by boss and family?
[doublepost=1542272495][/doublepost]
Yea for me it greatly improves it - near immediate transition to LTE versus a minute trying to find a signal before. I’m getting signals in elevators and other areas I didn’t before. Much better for me at least.
Thanks for the feedback, that would greatly help me to decide to upgrade to S4 as I would need it next year for extended period of cellular usage.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
If you don’t want to be reached you can keep it aeroplane mode. Why did you ge the cellular version in first place as you don’t want be reached by boss and family?
[doublepost=1542272495][/doublepost]

Thanks for the feedback, that would greatly help me to decide to upgrade to S4 as I would need it next year for extended period of cellular usage.
Yea I’m finding that I’m using cellular more often as I can more easily depend on it and have made many many phone calls with it - even when I’m at home I’m using WiFi calling which also works great on the watch

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yes, The LTE signal seems to be more amplified in areas where it had lower reception previously. I believe Apple made some adjustments to the internal bands, but it definitely is improved, even indoors where it was the most problematic.

Adnanw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Australia
Yes, The LTE signal seems to be more amplified in areas where it had lower reception previously. I believe Apple made some adjustments to the internal bands, but it definitely is improved, even indoors where it was the most problematic.
Thanks for the feedback, that is reassuring.