Is Safari 3 beta safe now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by a1dipship, Jul 20, 2007.

1. a1dipship macrumors regular

just wondering because in the beginning i noticed a few issues being raised, but now im tempted to give it a try.

should i ?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've been using it since it was released and the only problem I have is that the memory leak seems worse than the older version of Safari. I say go for it.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there a central list of what plugins, hacks, extensions, etc, do and do not work with Safari 3?

I have not had any luck googling one. I use...

Taboo (won't need)
    Safaristand (not sure if I'll need...the only thing I use it for is force link -> new tab)
    Safariblock (need)
    Inquisitor (need)
    Schubert-it PDF Browser Plugin (don't need, but prefer)

And of course Flash, Perian and F4M inside QT, and if possible DivX web player.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's definitely serviceable...the only patch they made was security-related, so any user experience issues still remain. Certain third-party bundles and apps don't work with it and I've experienced a few rendering issues, but nothing too bad.

If for no other reason, the vastly improved JavaScript handling made it worth it to me stick with it.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Not that I've seen, but one that I tested that didn't work was SafariBlock.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've been a long time AcidSearch user, and that doesn't work. I'm also having a few favicon bugs, and Safari Icon Manager is useless because Apple completely re-did the way Safari handles them.

SafariStand does have a version for Safari 3, but I haven't used it.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, it looks like SafariBlock does work on Safari 3 as of very recently:

http://fsbsoftware.com/

(Version 1.2).

Acidsearch not working might be a good time to try inquisitor... it is rather spectacular. :eek:

Okay, if I can update Stand and SafariBlock, I think I'll give it a try. :)

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I tried Inquisitor some time ago and didn't like it...don't remember why. But yes, maybe I'll give it another shot.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It hasn't changed much, but maybe it'll work for you? Hopefully, anyway, Pozytron will get AcidSearch working also. It's a very popular plugin, so I'm sure you're not the only one waiting for it.

As for me, okay, my iBook is now running Safari 3.0.2 with SafariBlock, Stand, and Inquisitor for all users. It was actually a good time to make sure that all three of them install for all users. :) It beachballed on first load-up, oddly, and I had to force quit. However, since then, it seems to be working well. :) So far so good!

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I don't know...I'm playing with it right now and I'm managing. I guess I just find the "search-as-you-type" stuff busy and distracting. Probably the same reason I'm not a huge fan of Spotlight. Turning off auto-complete helps, but it's still a bit much for my simple brain.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I did that right away too. Since you're used to AcidSearch, what you might do is turn the number of suggestions and websites way down, and then add a bunch of search engines to the list. That'll give you something that does a lot of what Acidsearch does (you type in, and if you want the Safari answer, you hit enter, and otherwise, you click on the engine you want to search). If it allowed you, you could almost go to zero web hits / suggestions and then just have a list of alternate search engines! :D

So far, I'm liking Safari 3 a lot. Sorry for the threadjack.

I like the warning about entered text when closing a tab... it's interesting how it responds to the inline editor on this page. I'm sure there're threads about that issue already, though. :eek:

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As a follow-up, I've been using Safari 3 with Stand, SafariBlock, and Inquisitor installed quite a bit this afternoon. I've gone to my usual sites, and found it to be generally just as stable for me so far as Safari. The one thing that did not play at all nicely with Safari 2, the DivX web player, continues to not play at all nicely with Safari 3. But everything else seems very stable so far for me, after that initial lockup the very first time I ran Safari.

Oh, I did have to move Safariblock from being installed globally to locally. For some weird reason it is not able to save a blocklist (loses it when Safari is closed) when it is installed globally. But this doesn't seem to have anything to do with Safari 3.

13. stealthsniper96 macrumors regular

yea it seens pretty good to me. the only problem ive had is with the windows version when that thing comes down to say its gotta re-send data it will shut-down.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well, mkrishnan, I've given up on Inquisitor yet again. The find-as-you-type aspect was causing brief pauses and beachballs on my PowerBook every time I typed in the search field.

Really looking forward to a Safari 3-compatible AcidSearch.

15. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Has anyone else noticed that the Windows version of Safari allows you to choose between Yahoo and Google search, but that the OS X version doesn't have the option?

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i imagine they'll add this soon. even the iphone lets you search via yahoo.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, interesting. Is this 3.0 v42? Well, that's too bad. I'm using Inquisitor and find as you type quite regularly. I finally also installed Safari 3 on my iMac.

But I do hope you get your 3.0 compliant AcidSearch soon. It's a great IM and I hope it keeps getting developed.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep, it was the newest version. It is too bad, because it had some nice aspects to it. I turned everything as far down as I could (one result for each category and turned off including the search history), but it was still causing problems, and they seemed to be getting worse as time went on. Guess my PowerBook's too old to handle it. :rolleyes:

19. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

Just gave up on Safari

I've been using Safari since it first came out, but the latest version is driving me crazy. It crashes constantly.

Sometimes it crashes when I go to print, but other times, not. Ditto for downloading and accessing drop down menus. Sometimes it just crashes for no apparent reason. Yesterday, Safari crashed on me at least dozen times, probably more.

Finally, it crashed when I tried to log into the Apple support discussion page to see if others were having the same problem. >:-o

Since my work is heavily dependent on using the internet, I've switched to Camino, for now, though if they fix Safari, I'll switch back in a nano second, because I love the look.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not so sure it's Safari... 3.0.2 honestly is *at least* as stable as the last 2.x build for me, if not more stable. It's been very reliable. Are you sure you don't have something installed on it that's creating the instability? Or maybe some bad preference files or something?

21. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

Hmmm...

It's possible I have a program that's causing it to crash. It's certainly happened before, with security software and other apps.

I'll check the apple support site to see if their are any known conflicts.

Could not enough RAM be the problem?

iMac G5 1.9 Ghz
    1 GB RAM

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think so, no.... I'm thinking more like a plugin that modifies some aspect of Safari's behavior (SAFT, Safaristand, Inquisitor, AcidSearch, Taboo, PithHelmet, SafariBlock, SafariSource, are common ones) or system behavior (Uno, etc). Most of these plugins and extensions have versions that are Safari3 compatible. However, if you haven't updated, then an old version of one of them hanging out may be causing the crashes.

23. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

The only problem I have in Safari 3 is whenever I click on a link to a video that plays in Windows Media Player, Safari expectedly 'unexpectedly quits'. But I have not tried using Flip4Mac yet, so that might get around the issue.
    Other than that, I have no problems with it and prefer it to Safari 2.

EDIT: I just tried it with Flip4Mac and it worked very well, and did not crash.
    Flip4Mac can be downloaded here, for free. Make sure you avoid Windows Media Player.

24. ivnds macrumors 6502

ivnds

Isn't Yahoo's search powered by google? what am I missing here?:confused:

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For anyone who missed it... F4M is the *official* Microsoft solution for WMP at this point. They themselves made an agreement with the people who make F4M to offer it free to Mac users on their (MS's) behalf, and discontinued WMP. So yes, anyone who is still using WMP should almost certainly upgrade, unless their other software is also all out of date, and they intend to stay that way.