Is Safari back gesture fixed in 7.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JulianL, Jan 19, 2014.

1. JulianL macrumors 65816

When I first installed iOS 7 on my iPad Air the thing that completely blew me away about it was how well the universal back gesture worked on Safari. I could scroll down a long page and click on a link and it would load whatever page the link was pointing to (nothing new there). If I then did a back gesture (a swipe from left to right starting from just outside the left edge of the screen) it made Safari go back to the previous page but what was so amazing was that it did it totally instantly, almost as if Safari had saved a screen shot of the previous page and was pulling it back onto the screen as if it was just another photograph in a slide slow. It was the fastest and most satisfying back button operation that I'd ever seen on any computer and changed the way I browsed because it was so quick and easy.

With iOS 7.0.4 things don't seem to work quite as well. When I do a back gesture it does very quickly go back to the previous page but it doesn't go back to the same place in the page that I was at before I followed the link, it seems to reset the original page back to the top so that if I then want to get back to the bit of the page that I was on when I clicked the previous link then I need to scroll back down the page to find my previous place; this can be a bit of a pain if it is a long page.

In the iOS 7.1 betas does doing a back gesture in Safari take you back to exactly where you were on the previous page before you clicked the link that got you to the current page or does it reset the previous page back to the top of the page?

- Julian

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

It was never broken for me.

I am on 7.1 though, but I don't remember having any trouble with 7.0.4.

3. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

it still works for me- sometimes it is harder to do if u have a case and u have to start right on the edge of the screen

5. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

It doesn't often do that for me, but occasionally does. I haven't detected a pattern as yet. I wonder if it has something to do with the small amount of ram, which often causes pages to refresh?

6. JulianL thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a reasonable theory. It seemed to start happening far more often for me when I upgraded to 7.0.4. It sounds as if I might have fewer issues with 7.1. I really hope so because when it works it's my single favourite feature of iOS 7.

- Julian

7. tazdevl macrumors member

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I recall things similarly for the devices I use.

9. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

its not just ios 7.1, is mac safari too. macrumors, when viewing on my mac at home, will refresh the page when i swipe back to a previous page. however it wont do this on the ios's safari when browsing the forum. also, when i view another forum, it wont refresh at all on either safari. i think it has something to do with the forum software.