Is Safari Leaking memory?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John01021988, Nov 16, 2007.

1. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Damn, I thought when I upgraded to Leopard, Safari would stop leaking memory, but is not the case for me. I only have two tabs open and Safari is using over 300mb of RAM memory. What the hell? I had like 5 tabs open in Camino and it only used like 70mb of ram. Thoughts anyone?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Real memory or virtual memory?

And what are in the tabs? Something that is updating constantly or is it a completely static page?

And finally, Safari is a memory hungry app. But AFAIK, a memory leak actually refers to an app that will continue to gather memory until it has consumed everything. Safari is just RAM hungry, not RAM leaking.

3. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Real Memory, and I only have 2 Macrumors tabs, both in forums.... ( now is at 320mb of RM :S)

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When was the last time you quit & restarted Safari?

When was the last time you cleaned out the Icons folder?

5. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, Safari got "reseted" like the day before yesterday, since I kept having issues with Macrumors password (typed it incorrect and saved like that in keychain) Yesterday I D/L 10.5.1 but I dont think this is the issue. Ive know that Safari, at least for me, could consume up to 200mb, which is acceptable, but more than 300mb? Something has to be going on in the code. Also Last time I quit Safari was like 3 hours ago, almost for the same reason, consuming too much ram.