is safari quick tap in firefox 3?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spick, Jun 24, 2008.

1. spick macrumors member

Hi i switched from safari to firefox and am loving it but there's one feature that I miss and that is in safari when I highlight a link and right click it I have the options to open a new windows with it or open a new tap with it. Where as in firefox I can only copy the link or google search it. just wondering if anyone knew if it's possible in firefox too?

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

tap? can you show me a screenshot of safari describing your operation?

Attached Files:

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I think he/she must mean "Tab" rather than "Tap."

4. pna macrumors 6502

I think the default if you middle-click on a link is to open up a new tab.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

actually, default is simple left click opening a tab.

otherwise, firefox's context menu on any link should offer open in tab/window options as well...

6. spick thread starter macrumors member

What I mean is in safari when I highlight a plain text link(not hyperlink) and right click it it gives me the option to open it in a new window or a new tab.

As you can see from the first picture firefox compared to the second picture safari. In safari it doesn't matter if the link is plain text or hyperlink when I right clicked it, it gives me the options to open.

Attached Files:

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

aha, understand,
    several ways of doing this

1. you might want to try out this addon : Linkification

This will convert those text into links, no context menu needed anymore, just simply click it.

2. another addon easy drag and go, with this, you can just select url text, drag it for a small distance towards any direction and release, it will open a new tab for the link

3. Other than addons, you can select the url and drag it to urlbar or tabbar, it will open link in current tab/new tab.

8. spick thread starter macrumors member

woohoo thanks for the help. This definitely helps a lot when I'm doing mass downloads :).

Still don't know why firefox doesn't incorporate something like this.

9. Dwimmerlaik macrumors newbie

Auto Context

Another add-on that does this exact thing is Auto Context. You can download it directly here or you can checkout the nice write-up here.