is safari really slow for anyone else?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kofman13, May 1, 2018.

1. kofman13 macrumors regular

I am running latest high Sierra on 2015 rMBP 13 inch, i5, 8 gb ram.

Recently started using safari because I love a lot of the gestures and a lot of nice integration with iOS and because safari is the default browser on my iPhone. Also for me force touch on trackpad to sneak peek links is a game changer, especially browsing reddit. I can just peak at a pic or link without having to go to another page and go back to the feed.

But Jesus safari is SOOOOO much slower on many sites than chrome, especially on youtube an reddit and many other sites I frequent. If I open up safari and click youtube or reddit, it will just hang there with the blue loading status bar on the URL in safari for a good 3-4 sometimes even 5, before it loads, and then loading is very fast after this hiccup. Funny thing is safari starts loading macrumors and a few other sites fine but a hand full like youtube and reddit have this issue...Safari is responsive its not frozen, its just stuck on the "waiting for.." stage for so long. If I try the same sites in Firefox or chrome they start loading almost instantly after I hit enter or click the bookmark.

I really love safari and Im trying to get used to it but its painful to use with these issues.

anyone else figured something out?

2. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I haven't seen that, but you should be able to find out what's going on by enabling the Develop menu (in Preferences>Advanced), choosing Develop>Show Web Inspector, clicking the Timelines tab, and reloading. Network tab is useful too.

3. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

ok but what am I looking for/at

4. chabig macrumors 603

There is no reason Safari should be slower than any other browser. It's hard to pinpoint reasons, but any slowness you've observed could be caused by your network connection, the domain name server you're using, or the web server at the other end of your connection. The only way to eliminate those concerns is to run Safari and Chrome side by side speed tests.

5. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Whatever is taking the long time. Network, layout, javascript, or fetching a particular item. Most items (pages, images, javascript) should take just milliseconds to fetch and execute. If you see a bar that's seconds long-- there's yer problem. Tell us its name.

6. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

here is a screenshot of the timeline when youtube took 3-4 seconds to start loading the page visually compared to chrome Side by side starting to load it in less than a second or 1 second https://imgur.com/gBdWsBu

7. MC6800, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018

MC6800 macrumors 6502

I'm seeing the same for YouTube, and comparing Safari and Chrome timelines I see Safari taking 1.4 seconds to (apparently) compile a 70000 line javascript library called desktop_polymer.js that Chrome doesn't even load. I may be way off here, but it looks like Google has built Polymer into Chrome and is using it for YouTube, leaving Apple and others out in the cold.

8. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

I'm a Web developer and Safari is my browser of choice. Most of the time it's faster than Chrome, but there do appear to be certain tasks that just bottleneck it and it slows to a grind. Also it benefits from being quit and restarted sometimes. I've noticed that if Safari starts to drag, quitting it and relaunching it sometimes resolves the speed issues.

9. kofman13 thread starter macrumors regular

that makes a lot of sense that their own platform sites would be optimized for chrome. but i see same issue on reddit sometimes. can you test that one too on your end? just reddit home page

10. purgatori_sakkara macrumors member

purgatori_sakkara

The only site I find to be particularly slow is Facebook, and I put that down to it being poorly built.

11. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77