Resolved Is Safari slow to repsond for you too?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Good User Name, Apr 22, 2012.

?

Is Safari slow to respond for you too?

Poll closed May 6, 2012.
  1. Yes, it takes an unusually long amount of time to respond at first.

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No, it responds pretty much right away.

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Good User Name, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

Good User Name macrumors regular

I just got my new iPad (3rd generation), and something that surprised me about it was that it was so slow to become responsive in Safari. I'm not sure if this is just my problem or this is something that everyone goes through.

Whether I choose to touch the address bar or the search bar, Safari usually takes about 5 seconds to respond. That's an unexpectedly high time. I'm coming from using an iPhone 4 as my only iOS device so I assumed I'd see comparable or better speeds with iPad's Safari.

Was the assumption wrong? Or is there something wrong with my iPad?

No other app has shown unresponsiveness on that level. The iPad has, otherwise, been a model of speed and wonder for me. Which makes this Safari behavior stand out all the more.

2. tthip macrumors member

I updated from my iPad 1 to the iPad3 (iPad2 part2 whatever)
    And I am blown away by the speed of this iPad using Safari.
    Granted I have resisted updating my iPad1 to ios5.
    But I have no "5 second" delay even on my iPad1, but this new iPad/ios blows me away comparatively.

Safari is super fast on my iPad.

3. thelead macrumors 6502

Massive keyboard delay when on a page with a lot of gifs.

4. justinLONG, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

justinLONG macrumors member

i've had it not respond when trying to click on a link. several times i'll get a delay respond when wanting to paste something on the search bar or address bar. this also happened with my ipad 2 so maybe safari needs an update.

but I do safari a lot on my iPad and overall I am pretty satisfied with its performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rreG0k5lA:D

5. plucky duck macrumors 6502

None of the issues mentioned by users above me. 5 seconds? wow.

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

No problems here. Just quick, snappy glorious retina-filled internet :D

7. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm… it seems that there's something wrong with mine then. No matter what I want to do with Safari there's always that delay at the beginning. After the delay it works fine.

I can press the space that should activate the search or address bar and then I'll actually have to wait for 5 (or more) seconds, then I can type, copy, cut, paste etc. I've seen the delay when opening a new blank tab. Closing is a bit faster.

Page loads are fast, renders are fast, painting is fast. All that stuff is good, it's just the unresponsiveness to get the damned thing started.

5 full seconds.

I've cleared cache, history, etc. I've closed and quit Safari. I've turned the machine off and on. Nothing seems to help.

Thoughts?

8. pat park macrumors 6502a

try restoring as new. That will usually eliminate any weird software issues. If it persists, contact Apple and make Genius bar appointment.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Speedtest.net

Check your connectivity.

Clean up close out the number of Apps that may still be in the background.

Failing that try Safari on a demo iPad and your own on the WiFi network at an Apple Store.

If your unit is slower than the others at least you can swap it out.

10. Good User Name thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I think I've found my solution. I noticed that whenever I was going to the search bar after the 5 second delay the bookmarks bar also popped up. This made me think that that that had something to do with it.

So I went to the General settings and looked under iCloud and turned off Bookmarks. Sure enough, that did the trick. Now there's no more of that delay in responsiveness.

I had no idea that having a lot of bookmarks would choke the machine like that. But what should I do if I want to actually check any of the many bookmarked pages that I have? Is there some alternative that won't make the thing slow?

----------

As I mentioned before, the connection and surfing and loading stuff was fine. I had already closed all the background running apps. It was just the bookmarks. Now I've gotta find a replacement for that…

11. Billyt2 macrumors newbie

Solution to long pause in address bar of Safari

I had the same problem, but figured out what was going on - it was because my bookmarks (synced) had thousands of entries, hidden in many old folders. After clearing outmost of them (which took a long time) the address bar now works! I start typing, and it doesn't stall for 5 seconds after the the first letter :D