Is Safari trying to melt my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nerd, May 2, 2008.

1. nerd macrumors member

When I sat down at my desk this morning I noticed the fans on my MBP were making a lot of noise. It seemed sort of odd since the computer was pretty much idle (one Finder window, one Safari window). I started looking around and discovered my CPU temperature was 182F and my fans were spinning at 3300 RPM. Then I noticed in Activity Monitor that Safari was using 100% of the CPU. It wasn't hung or acting weird and I surfed around to a few sites. When I quit Safari, the CPU temperature starting dropping dramatically. Within 2 or 3 minutes the temperature was at 117F and the fans were under 2000 RPM.

I just recently switched back to Safari from Firefox and now I'm not sure I trust it. Have you guys seen anything like this before? For now, I just close Safari when I'm not using it.

2. I3eXa macrumors 6502

were you on a webpage that had changing ads or a streaming video maybe??? Either way, I've never liked Safari, always been a Firefox man myself.

3. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I think you just into a badly coded website. I've seen that once or twice, but have never run into any problems otherwise. I usually just quit and restart my browser. Unless it happens all the time, I don't think Safari's to blame.

4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

this happens to me sometimes. Usually it's from a you tube video embedded in a page, even if I don't have it playing. Weird.
    Anyway, that's why I always have activity monitor open. Its pretty easy to monitor and fix.

5. Jasper2k macrumors newbie

Yup, exactly like that. Same situation - only app open is Safari and the fans spin up to jet engine V2 rotation speed! I open Activity Monitor, it shows 100% CPU util, and when I quit Safari everything is fine.

Happens several times a browsing session. :mad:

Never happens in Firefox 2. :)