Is Safari's Open in Tabs behaviour a bug or...?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by dastinger, Dec 6, 2013.

1. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Hey guys,

I've been using Safari instead of Chrome since Mavericks came out and there's something that really bugs me. If you have a folder on the Bookmarks Bar you get the option to open all the bookmarks inside that folder in tabs. It does, indeed, open all the bookmarks in tabs but it also closes the ones already opened. Is this a bug or expected behaviour? Because it's really ridiculous if that is the way Apple want it to behave :confused:

Thanks

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It's undoubtedly that way by design. A rapidly growing list of open tabs could be a major annoyance.

3. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Meh, I don't agree. Another thing that Apple could give users the option.

Thanks!

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

This feature is a quick way of opening a whole bunch of tabs to give you a particular view. Having done that, you can be sure that your list of tabs on the screen relate to the folder you've just selected. It seems perfectly logical to me.

If you need a different view with more tabs in it, make a dedicated folder for that purpose.

Personally, I'm glad the option doesn't exist as a preference. One less pointless thing for my eyes to scan.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

5. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

So I am browsing important stuff and I want to check some sports' news while still leaving all my other stuff open. I have a folder with the 3 main sports newspapers websites in Portugal.. I want to open all the 3 tabs at once so I can check it out, close them and continue with what I was doing and Apple does not let me do that. How's that good? :confused:

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Yeah, this annoys the heck out of me too. I really would like to use Safari over Chrome except all the little things that are different, such as this.

I'm a one window guy. I use tabs for everything because I can see in a glance what I have open. I could use mission control but that would be harder to read the tab labels in the smaller window in expose.

Besides, it should be a preference. We don't need it to be another contextual menu option (although it could be). And for it being 'another useless thing for your eyes to scan'? There is such a thing as muscle memory: you just don't read it after you do it a few times. And the contextual menu on a bookmark folder in Safari is 5 items. There's barely a context menu with fewer items than that. Worst excuse ever.

7. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

People on MR tend to find excuses like that to get behind Apple's decisions such as this one. Perfectly normal. But you're here long enough to know that.

Also, I completely agree with your post. I am using Safari since Mavericks cause I really really like the speed, battery consumption, RAM/CPU usage in Safari but there are little things that keep on making me want to go back to Chrome. And I'm a one window guy too so I guess that's why it makes a huge difference to me.

8. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It's not exactly hard:

Command-N, open your news folder, and that's exactly what you've got in front of you: news. You went to the trouble of categorising your news in a named folder, and Safari mirrors your selection in the tabs that it shows. Command-W gets rid of your news.

If you absolutely must have all those tabs together on screen, each consuming memory and resources, choose the Window / Merge All Windows command.

----------

It's not a bug. It's there for a specific reason. It works that way, in fact, for a whole bunch of reasons, many of which you won't be aware of.

Get over it.

9. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

So, instead of just moving my mouse to the Bookmarks Bar, clicking on the Sports folder and then Open in Tabs, I need to open a new window by hitting CMD + N, move my mouse to the Bookmarks Bar, click on the Sports folder and then Open in Tabs. Or, I need to open a new window by hitting CMD + N, show the Sidebar and navigate through each site by manually open each one of them. And, somehow, that's better lolol. Ok. Care to explain why is it better for everyone instead of why is it better for you?

And, please, would you care to add the whole bunch of reasons why Apple decided to make it this way instead of giving users the option to choose?

Thank you

10. LV426 macrumors 6502a

You don't need to do anything, for crying out loud. The option is there to have a whole bunch of screwy tabs from numerous folders on one screen if you choose to do that at the expense of a few seconds of your precious time. If you add up all the time you've spent whining about this issue, it would come to a tidy amount.

SPLAT SPLAT SPLAT. I've got 25 tabs squeezed onto my screen. Which ones are grouped together and which ones aren't? Ooh, I don't know. But maybe, just maybe, if they open as designed, they are all associated with the same group.

Ooh look, I've got a Window menu that does a ton of stuff. Tabby stuff on there as well.

Hey, my operating system is more efficient than ever before, helped in part because http happens to be a stateless protocol and I can easily get back any bunch of tabs that I want at any time. The chances are that world+dog is really far more interested in having a fresh folder view than adding to a never-ending list of pages on the screen. Hey, but for those who want that, there's a pretty simple way to do it.

Hello. And goodbye.

11. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Thank you for your wall of text. Now I understand you don't even know what I'm complaining about. Thank you for your time.

12. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

it really is easy enough to open another window, then open a folder of bookmarks. i do this all the time.

what if right now you wanted to keep the tabs you have, but an hour later, you only want the ones in the folder?

opening a new window is, as you pointed out, Command-N, then click on the bookmarks folder you want and....done. simple!

13. dastinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Usually users do the same stuff the same way every time. I just wanted Apple to give us the option to choose.