Is Samsung 830 SSD Compatible with Late 2006 MBPRO?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimbomoss, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jimbomoss macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 MBPRO 15 inch, 2.14 ghz, Core 2 Duo. HD is fried. Want to replace it with SSD Internal.

Will this Samsung 830 work?
    SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it will work. Your 2006 MBP only has an S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interface though, which will limit the S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSD to those speeds, which will be only apparent during large file copy processes on the same SSD.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

3. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I have the 64Gb one in my mbp an its great

4. jimbomoss thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for THIS! Very helpful.

5. jimbomoss thread starter macrumors newbie

But large file copies (with a new SSD) will still be faster than a 5200 rpm HDD...right?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, but only on the SSD itself. If you copy to an external HDD connected via USB or Firewire 800, you will be limited by the USB and Firewire interface anyway.
    But since SSD have a fast Random Access speed, you will see an increase in application startup, booting, and reading and writing from the SSD, especially with small files*, which can be found faster than on any HDD.

* system and temporary files included