Is scratching/pitting a problem on new MacBook Airs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacGeekAZ, Feb 16, 2014.

1. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

I have a 2008 pre-unibody MacBook Pro. The areas on either side of the trackpad have lots of nicks, scratches, and little pitted areas as a result of use. I just ordered a new MacBook Air. Do you have this problem with your MacBook Air? If so, I'm thinking of getting some decals to protect the area. I want to keep my new computer looking good. I just don't know if MacBook Airs are prone to this issue or not.

Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I had this issue many years ago on my g4 MacBook but since the 2008 unibody which I still think is an awesome machine (got rid last year) I have had no issues and I've have c2d models i5's right through different sizes up to my current 2013 MBA.

I do not and never will put any kind of protector on the palm rests of my machines I think it takes away from the original design.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I haven't had an issue with it on my 2011 MBA. I did have issues with pitting on my 2006 MBP though.

4. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

No issues at all (2013 model), but I do look after it.

5. MacGeekAZ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It sounds like it is a problem with the pre-unibody computers, but not the newer ones. That's good to know.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've seen scratching and change in color, but not pitting. Anyways I use a Moshi Palmguard mainly so my watch doesn't scratch my computer (or rather vice versa).

7. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I put an iCarbons skin on mine...haven't even touched that area since the day it arrived, only the skin.

8. jksu macrumors regular

no