Is Sebastian the crab Jamaican or British?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgargan1, Feb 18, 2008.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

My girlfriend and I are debating this... I say he's Jamaican she says he's British...

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

He's from the caribbean but I can't say if its Jamaica or another Island with the accent...but that should be close enough for you to win:)

Bless

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Why on earth would she say he's British? He doesn't have anything close to a British accent - any of them.

He's definitely Jamaican or one of the other Caribbean nations with the cool accents maan.

4. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

pfft... women aren't always right. They just think they are.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Americans are truly awful at distinguishing accents.

The number of American students who have said, "Now that I've lived here [in Australia] for 4 months, I think I can tell an Australian accent from a British one" is far too high.

6. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

i think its jsut what your exposed too. you can distinguish british and australian accents because you are constantly exposed to them. i dont know if youd be able to distinguish the accents of people from various states

7. mbrellisford macrumors member

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

How could anyone possibly think that he were British? He's clearly from somewhere in the Caribbean.

9. Mac OS X Ocelot macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Wow, I never would have guessed he was British. And I'm a guy who thought the Geico gecko was Australian when he was cockney, or something, which is one of the British ones, or something.

10. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

thanks for the responses, interesting note... according to wikipedia: Sebastian, voiced by Samuel E. Wright, is the crab that leads the Atlantica orchestra. During development, he was turned from British to Jamaican.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

caribbean yes, jamaican i really don't think so...but after watching that video it just really sounds like an american trying really hard to sound caribbeean or more precisely Jamaican...

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's Disney's fault. They shouldn't have called him Sebastian. His background would have been a bit easier to figure out if they called him "Crabba-ranks" or something really stereotypically Caribbean.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Spend any time around Ladbroke Grove or parts of south London or Hackney and you'll know that's untrue.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

It's definitely not a typical British accent.

I would say its some Caribbean accent because its a happy little crab. Why would you have the crab be British? When you think Caribbean you think nice blue water. When you think British you think bad teeth, bad weather, tea time, and the queen.

You need to take your girlfriend on a vacation or something. Or at the very least watch 007 movie or listen to the BBC.

Some quick searching reveals...
    The voice of Sebastian is done by Samuel E. Wright and was born in North Carolina and currently lives in New York.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

American accents are easy for us English folk: there's Texan and then there's the rest. Y'aaaallll.

You mean less orthodontistry. (Cosmetics, rather)

16. alFR macrumors 68020

That's about as true as saying that when you think American, you think of hugely fat, stupid imperialists. :rolleyes:

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seconded. He's a caribbean crab.

I would like to note that accent identification is much harder than one thinks. I work with a bloke from Scotland (and very clearly Scottish too), on another team is a lady that I assumed was from Ireland. Her access doesn't have much of a brogue and is actually quite soft and "lilty". Come to find out.. she's from Norther Scotland and he's from southern Scotland. Just made me realize that I was only able to identify major differences, maybe Strayans from UKers. And that was about it.

On the flip side, I'd wonder how good someone from outside the US would be at identifying the different accents of the different parts of the US. I think one thing against us is that we're all Americans, whereas there's 4 different countries in the UK alone, which adds a certain amount of pride into the mix. Could you folks correctly identify a New York accent from a Boston accent from a Jersey accent from a Philly accent? Heck, they're all within 500km of each other.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

20. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Wow. He doesn't sound like he used to. At least from the movie. I wouldn't call that accent Jamaican (the one from the show). I don't really know what he sounds like. No accent I've ever heard.:confused:

21. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

22. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

has she ever heard a brit speak?

definitely jamaican or island-y.

23. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I'd say Bermuda... That has all bases covered

24. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Speaking on behalf of "the rest," the filter would block me from giving you the obvious two-word retort, but I bet you can guess what it is. America is not Texas, nor Texas America, no matter what Texans might tell you.

25. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

( I was being sarcastic before)

Exactly. All british people have bad teeth and drink tea with the queen and all americans sit around on their 300lb+ butts watching nascar eating hamburgers and other food from McDonalds.

On a serious note though
    Imperialists? Yes we're in the Middle East but hello what about the British Empire?