Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a1dipship

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
wondering whether its possible to make all deletions 'secure' in finder?

thanks.

a1dipship

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
* contradiction alert * - im not worried......

it was just a thought. means that if your computer/hardrive decides to opt for the afterlife (ie dies!) or live with someone else (ie gets stolen!) then youve done what you can to secure your data in the modern world of identity fraud etc....

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
* contradiction alert * - im not worried......

it was just a thought. means that is your computer/hardrive decides to opt for the afterlife (ie dies!) or live with someone else (ie gets stolen!) then youve done what you can to secure your data in the modern world of identity fraud etc....

If I have a hard drive dies I'll usually take it out back and bonk it with the sledge just to make sure it's really gone.

As far as secure delete goes...for a while I had a little droplet made with applescript that you could drop files onto and it would run the unix srm program on them. Worked quite well. If I track it down or decide to remake it I'll post it here.

a1dipship

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2007
PS.

i only find out a few days ago by reading mac format that anyone with a set of installation discs for your computer can reset your user password and access all of your data :eek: - so you have to install some kind of firmware protection from the installation disk.... which im going to do today!

thats poor security for anyone giving there computer in for repair etc.

EVERYONE INSTALL THE FIRMWARE PROTECTION!

hmmm, maybe i shouldnt advertise this security loophole

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.