Is selling old software Illegal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gator24765, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Ok i wannted a little bit of info on this..

I have a few programs on my mac that i never use and would like to sell if it is legal.

The programs are ones like quark express etc...

Is it legal to sell them if i completely unistall off my hard drive..

second, where can i find the serial number to quark?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you deregister them/remove the likeness it's legal.

3. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

How did you obtain Quark in the first place. I believe if it was bundled software, then you are not allowed to resell it.. (I could be wrong)

4. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

I believe you are right when it comes to bundled software. I could be wrong but I think their copyright is the same as OEM meaning they are only licensed for that one computer or hardware they came with. The fact that the OP has to find the serial number for Quark seems to indicate that it's a bundle. If it's not a bundle and he lost the serial number then he's out of luck in trying to sell it. Trying to get a new serial number from any place other than the manufacturer is definitely illegal.

To answer the original question, I do believe if you deactivate your copy and basically transfer the ownership to someone else then it's legal to sell used software. Although you probably won't get a lot of buyers because most used software being sold are illegal bootleg copies so most buyers stay away from them. If it's brand new, unopened, and unregistered older generation software then people are more wiling to buy them. For example a retailer trying to sell off old software that is taking up store space.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Maybe I am misinterpreting the ruling but in Vernor v. Autodesk these binding agreements are not inforcible. As it violates the first sale doctrine. So yes you can resell it. But you will need to find you serial number likely on the CD jacket or on the manual that came with your software. If you registered with Quark they may be able to tell you the number other wise you are out of luck

6. EndlessMac macrumors 6502

If that ruling is true then I guess yes he can sell it. If he can't find the original serial number then I don't think he will get much help from Autodesk though.