Is shock protection working when SR MBP is going to sleep mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Feb 3, 2008.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I recall somebody mentioning that when the sr MBP is going to sleep mode, information are written from the RAM to the HD. During this period, it is important not to move the laptop as this could damage the HD. Isn't shock protection working all the time? Could anybody please confirm this? Thanks.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

no thats hibernation. this isnt enabled by deafult so im not sure if the shock protection works in this instance. in normal sleep mode the current session is written to the RAM and its fine to chuck it in your bag or whatever.

3. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I think you might be right. I have observed that my new MBP took considerably longer time to actually sleep after the lid is closed when compared to my girlfriend's MB (Previous rev.)

After some searching, I found out that the new MBP has a write-to-HD sleep mode, to protect your data if the battery runs flat when the machine is in sleep.

There is a very simple terminal command to turn this off and restore normal and near-instant sleep behaviour, which I did and quite happy with.

As for your question: If the hd is being accessed during the process of the laptop going to sleep, yes the HD will be moving and even if I'm not certain how risky it would be, I wouldn't be too hasty to chuck it in my bag. Not until the front led starts to pulse to indicate sleep.