Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hi all,

I've read a blog post on Luna's website. They state:
"Luna Display requires a user to be logged in to run the Mac app. If you use FileVault, you may still need an external monitor to unlock your drive whenever you reboot. Having FileVault enabled can conflict with automatic login."

So basically, as long as you're not logged in, you cannot use an app (and their app) on your Mac. Well, that's seem logical to me. But it makes me wonder: what about Sidecar?

- Does macOS wait that you're logged in to make Sidecar already available?
- If Sidecar is available at login and given that I'd like the iPad to be my only monitor, I need to enable Sidecar to see the login screen on my Mac. So, is there a keyboard shortcut that allows me to enable Sidecar before seeing macOS screen? Or do I absolutely have to disable automatic login?
- Still, even if I have to disable automatic login, I'll be logged in on macOS on the Mac mini, but still without seeing anything on the iPad's screen. I still need a keyboard shortcut to enable Sidecar.

Thanks.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
I've found an Apple Script that connects the iPad Pro in Sidecar (it does what you would do with your mouse) :

Then, the script has to be called using a keyboard shortcut configured in KeyboardMaestro, but it'll work with BetterTouchTool as well.

This way, even with a Mac not connected to any display, it should be possible to enable Sidecar and see macOS appearing on the iPad screen (I have not theses devices at the moment, so can't test myself)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.