Is Sierra showing up in 'Purchases' for you?

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by Sirious, Sep 20, 2016.

?

Is it showing up or not?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. No

83 vote(s)
    93.3%
  1. Sirious, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

After you download it, is it showing up in purchases for you?
    Not the GM version - I'm talking about the version that just released today for the public!

It's not showing up for me - its not a big deal but I like to have it in there :p

2. Skydoor Blue macrumors newbie

I couldn't see it anywhere at first, so I did a search for "macOS" and it showed up in the results, so now I'm downloading it.

I just checked, and it is showing up on the front page of the Store now.

3. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

It does not for me.
    When you try to "purchase" it, you can only press "Download" not the usual "Get".
    When I downloaded it, it appeared under the title "Other Purchases".

Maybe Apple is tying the license to your computer and not your Apple ID?

4. Sirious thread starter macrumors 65816

Sirious

Where do you find the "Other Purchases"?

5. zepman macrumors regular

zepman

It was a temporary title that showed up when macOS Sierra was downloading.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Dates

7. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Strange, it shows as "Get" under the app store on my work Mac. I haven't downloaded it yet, so can't say.

With that said, what'd the point be of tying the license to a single Mac? Sierra is free, so theoretically it shouldn't make a bit of a difference.

8. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Not so strange. That's the word that's used with App Store in some versions of the OS.

9. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

No, I was saying "strange" in reference to the fact that some people upthread were seeing the 'link' as "Download", not "Get", despite them not having "purchased" macOS Sierra yet.

10. grahamperrin, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

@KoolAid-Drink I never used a redemption code, I think mine said Download. I can check again after installation completes.

Confirmed: on the Featured page, the button for macOS Sierra says DOWNLOAD

11. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Just downloaded it at home (it showed as "Download", not "Get") and it downloaded, but isn't showing up under the Purchased list, either, hmmm.

Bug or intentional? Hard to say.

12. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I found the same. And I did scroll to the foot of the page where a 2000 purchase might be.

When I next boot the OS I'll get the build ID of the installer .app

13. cynics macrumors G4

I downloaded it and the installed popped up behind the App Store app.

It is/was not not showing under the purchased tab. Its not been a very intuitive update experience.

14. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

After you perform the installation, begin a second download of the installer, tell us whether it shows 2000.

15. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Anyone knows what build it is? Downloading right now, doesn't show up under purchases. Have to click on the actual Sierra Page in MAS to the see the download progress bar.

16. Skydoor Blue, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

Skydoor Blue macrumors newbie

The build is:

10.12 (16A323)

which is the same as the third GM candidate released a couple days ago or so.

17. radiologyman macrumors 6502

downloaded official release from featured page in app store

18. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Ok here's my opinion: The same thing happened to me, where it came up in "Other Purchases" with the date January 1st 2000. I talked to a few people and they too had the issue.

Theory 1: After a bit of thinking, I was positing about how we can currently "Downgrade" our Macs by downloading an older, purchased version of OS X from the App Store. As we all know with iOS devices, Apple refuses to let us downgrade to an older OS. Maybe this is their way of implementing this in macOS.

Theory 2: The Hackintosh community. Sure you can still download the Sierra installer to your Mac and then use it to install on Hackintoshes, but with Apple not allowing this to stay in purchases, it forces a Hackintosher to come up with a different way to download the file. If they want it, they will get it, but not from Apple I guess...

Again, this is what I was thinking about, nothing here is guaranteed, I just thought I would throw the idea out there!

19. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

Unfortunately it's the same build as 'Skydoor Blue' pointed out already. Still the same bugs.

Almost laughable that none of the Safari extensions work (adblock etc).

Come on Apple... seriously?!

20. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

On one machine it is missing from the Purchases list (machine running an earlier GM which I failed to update to the last one and now can't download the final release as the store page says "Downloaded".) My other machine which is too old for Sierra shows it in the Purchases but obviously can't download it.

Frustrating.

21. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

how can we check our current build? when I go into the about section it just says 10.12 and no version/build number

EDIT: never mind, just tapped the "10.12" and got the build to show

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep.

23. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Did a clean install and AdBlock+ works just fine in Safari?

24. r0d3nt macrumors newbie

Since this is the only forum I can find on this subject, I wanted to comment regarding a recent call to Apple support regarding this.

I've been trying a few different thing in trying to get Sierra to show up in my purchase history [for completeset reasons], but nothing was working [I even got the January 1, 2000 date when I redownloaded it in a macOS Sierra install. I contacted Apple Support, and they essentially said that Apple is no longer binding Apple IDs to macOS Sierra downloads.

I find this hard to believe, but this would explain why I'm having so much trouble. I am a bit annoyed by this because how am I going to redownload Sierra after the next release when Apple historically retired their previous Mac OS pages from the app store if I needed to?

25. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I have all of the installer files since ML stored on my Mac Pro. I plan on keeping it that way too, someone will probably upload them online at some point.