Is silver the new Pro color?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by socialwill, Jun 3, 2019.

1. socialwill macrumors member

With the introduction of the new MacPro Apple did not go with the recent Space Grey that they have been using for the Pro devices. They went with silver and makes me curious if the next wave of hardware updates from Apple will be more about a design change and stick with silver for pro devices going forward vs Space Grey?

2. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I just bought the space grey. Up until now I've seen most of my friends buy space grey.

I hope it doesn't go out of style anytime soon.

3. elmarjazz macrumors member

4. VineRider macrumors regular

just got a new silver 2019 MB Pro, Touch Bar with 500gb....silver looks great!

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

I would not read anything into that.

Classic Pros were light gray/silvery. Space gray is more consumery color for Apple. Trash can Pro was black.

Imo, Apple is acknowledging the roots of the box and keeping it similar in color.

And previous gen MPBs (read: old), basically were silver/grayish. iMacs are silver/gray.

So, Space Gray, kinda newish, trendy color.

(Personally, way down the road when new MBP needs replacement, would like a black one, but really never cared about laptop colors, rose gold is about only "no" on the color list)

6. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

I'm going back to silver personally. For whatever reason I like my laptop a bit lighter, especially on my black desk I feel like it's hard to see what i'm doing without that pop when the lighting is a bit bad. And yes everyone has space grey now, i'm just burnt out seeing it.

7. AFITgrad86 macrumors newbie

AFITgrad86

Waiting for a render of it in "Space Grey" and comments about "Death Star"

8. iMacPro macrumors newbie

I used to enjoy the space grey but it just seems so common now, I've begun to really take interest in the silver machines. When my MBA finally gives up I feel its replacement will be silver.

9. kp98077, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019

kp98077 macrumors 6502a

kp98077

Silver has always been the 'traditional' color....
    --- Post Merged, Jun 5, 2019 ---

10. StuKatz1 macrumors member

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I liked space gray, silver is kind of boring but that's just me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Silver for me and I couldn't give a **** if it goes out of style :p

Q-6

13. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

I hope so. Not a fan of space grey and Apple seems not very good at anodising it reliably. I would like them to do a proper black or deep matte grey.

Did you notice they are also pairing it with a new Magic Keyboard/Mouse/Trackpad that is silver with black keys/glass? I am definitely buying those if they come separately...

14. iJohnnyCretiu macrumors newbie

iJohnnyCretiu

Yup! Im totally hoping that they will release them separately as they did with the space gray ones when the iMac Pro came out. The aesthetic has been something Ive been wanting for years now.

15. grmlin macrumors member

grmlin

is the space gray color as robust as the silver one over the years?

16. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

It’s probably just easier and less costly to leave it silver with all those weird holes in the case of both the Mac Pro and the new monitor.

17. twanj macrumors 6502

twanj

Doesn't space grey on MBPs at least start wearing off, since the base color is silver aluminum?

18. grmlin macrumors member

grmlin

Do they? That's what I would want to know. I would stick to silver then.

19. CPL593H macrumors member

Always bought Space Gray on any device when available, and never regretted it. Next to a Silver MBP I still prefer the Gray.

20. buran-energia macrumors regular

Got 2015 mbp and 2017 space grey. Don't care about the trend. Silver is too light/shiny and space grey seems more professional.

21. vaugha macrumors 6502

A lot of people buy sg for the looks and they are sick of silver b/c we've had silver for the longest time. But over time, the equilibrium state will be more or less 50/50 split b/w silver and sg.

22. evilmurries macrumors newbie

evilmurries

It can wear off, especially around the sharper edges like for ports.

23. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Grey, and other colours, do not look durable to me. Brand new, they look like a finish that will wear off. Even if this were only a perception on my part I don’t want one for that reason. Silver. Only silver.

24. th0masp macrumors 6502

I'd prefer silver over space grey personally. Not that it looks bad but there are already enough dark grey/black devices around.

I'd also love to see the glowing logo come back on the laptops - that was such a nice touch. Going forward I hope they don't adopt the weird new 'cheesegreater' look when they redesign any of their other machines though.

25. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

any pics? I haven't had any issues with my 2016 space grey 15".
    The anodizing finish is basically stained into the raw aluminum. It doesn't just chip like normal paint its more like what happens with a stain into wood.