is silverlight a memory hog?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by namethisfile, Jun 2, 2010.

1. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i use silverlight to watch instant netflix but i didn't know it is such a memory hog. i should have noticed that when i watch instant netflix on one window and browsing regularly on the other that the movie would hiccup each time i click on a link in a website or each time i visit a new web page. it doesn't slow down the computer or anything to make it unusaeable. but, i am concerned of the page outs since i don't want my harddrive to work overtime. is this something i have to live with?

[​IMG]

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

In Firefox I haven't ever seen it get that high. In fact I've never seen anything every use up that much. Are you using the latest version, I think it's 4.0 now.

3. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

huh. i don't have firefox. and yes i have the latest safari.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have the latest Silverlight, it's version 4.0? You might want to try Firefox. If only for playing Netflix.

An other thing I would try is running Safari in 32-bit mode and seeing if the ram usage goes down.

5. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That is odd. I'm guessing you have Snow Leopard. I don't have my SL Mac with me right now but I will test this out on Leopard.

Edit: After testing this by watching a 2 hour movie I got similar results on Leopard, Safari 4, and Silverlight 4.

Attached Files:

7. namethisfile thread starter macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

thanks for doing the test. i wonder why silverlight takes up so much memory for just being a media player.

8. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ