Is single link DVI adapter OK for 37" LCD TV?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by badgerman, Nov 3, 2008.

1. badgerman macrumors 6502a

So I want to attatch my new allu MB to my Samsung 37" LCD (1366 x 768 resolution) via HDMI.

I have a HDMI to DVI-D (dual link) cable from my old laptop, I would rather pay for a new HDMI to DVI-D (Single link) cable than the extra £70 for the mini display - DVI-D dual link adapter over the single link adapter.

Will single link be OK for watching films on TV from MB?

2. Philflow macrumors 65816

3. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great stuff, is the dual link only for higher res LCDs?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mostly the only displays that need them are 30" monitors... these typically have a resolution of 2560x1600. So in comparison, you have 1,049,088 pixels, and that has 4,096,000 pixels, or nearly four times as many. So you're correct -- it varies only with resolution. The physical size of the screen is irrelevant.

For more specifics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

(The actual cutoff between dual and single link DVI is more complicated, but practically almost every <30" display and every television falls shy of the requirements for dual link, and all the 30" monitors fall above it).

5. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Nice! I was wondering this too. Because $30 for an adapter is a lot better than $100. Hmm, may start watching Netflix on demand on my TV now unless Netflix gets a deal with Sony for the PS3 like they do for the XBox 360.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've had my iMac on my LCD TV (same resolution as the OP's / 720p) for some time now, and I really enjoy it.

Just a reminder, in case either of you aren't aware: As DVI does not carry an audio signal, when you use MDP -> DVI -> HDMI, the HDMI cable will not have audio on it. You need to plan for a separate audio cable (analog or digital) as well.

7. badgerman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep just planned to use my 3.5mm jack for sound although I have optical (toslink) and a coaxial digital inputs in my amp can I get adapters for these to my mb?