Is Siri A5 worth the sacrifice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LaunchpadBS, Oct 5, 2011.

1. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I've got a 3GS, I skipped the iP4 to get the 'new' iphone, a little disappointed to be honest but iOS5 will change things.

My only question is is Siri and the A5 really worth the extra £££'s and the 100 hours LESS standby time? battery life is a biggie for me.

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Do you think you'll use voice controls much? How often do you use the camera?

The 4S seems like an awesome phone, and as long as the screen size suits you I'd say give it a try. Siri does seem like an awesome feature, and the A5 is a beast. As for battery, the stated hours don't mean much, your own use will determine how long it lasts. I can imagine your 3GS battery is going to hell, mine sure is, so anything would feel like an improvement.

3. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

I personally think that the only thing that draws me to buy an iPhone 4S is the camera. I mean, yeah, Siri seems amazing and promising. The A5 chip and all the extra speed and graphics that comes with it is also a welcome upgrade. But for me it's the camera that blows me away.

But since I upgraded from a 1st Gen iPhone (that's been with me for over 2 years) to an iPhone 4 just 6 months ago, I plan to give the 4 the life it deserves and I'll hold for the 6th gen.

as for you. I say, definitely get the iPhone 4S. since you're still on the 3GS, you're not just getting the A5 and Siri, you're getting all what iPhone 4 had too (and that's saying something), PLUS the amazing 8MP camera, 64GB (if you're up to it), GSM+CDMA compatibility, and lots of other features that you can check on the Apple website.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Siri is no where as good as it's been made to look via Apple's brilliant presentation skills. Highly overrated and actually rather gimmicky it's too over the top for me. I'll never use it, not once.

5. macneubie macrumors regular

To Siri: "Can you tell me when will the Dow Jones Industrial Average drop to 2000points or lower?" :D:D:D

6. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

exactly, I mean, how desperate are you to do your job and book your meetings WHILE you run!? can't you just wait to go home? I personally put my iPhone to Airplane mode when I do my runs and put on the music. why would I want to be disturbed in my own personal time? I don't get it.

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Really?? The original app works great for me. I've always wanted it integrate into my system apps, cal,phone,text.

I think it's going to change how we look at what our phones do and how we interact with them. I see it as much more than a gimmick.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think the texting-while-driving and the accessability use are the best cases for Siri. I'd never use it while running, but I would definitely use it all the time while driving

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Lol. Because there are people that actually run businesses. Not just go to a job.

I see where you're coming from but for some of us this will be nice.

10. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I;ve also got a 3GS and I am getting this new 4S. I am very impressed with Siri , I actually think Im gonna use it ALOT.

11. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

and I think it's going to change how we think, because it will actually NOT let us think. Notice how nowadays if you don't put on a reminder on your iPhone, it's like it actually never crossed your mind. So you're always relying solely on your phone. and as it advances more and more in "Artificial Intelligence", human beings are slowing down in "Human Intelligence".

----------

Yes, that I agree. I would also use it while driving.

you might be right on that, but everybody in the forums (and elsewhere) are doing such a fuss about that it makes me think that EVERYONE runs businesses, and EVERYONE will rely solely on it.

12. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point, half the time I dont reply to messages because I'm moving around and can't be asked to stop and type a message as my rather large thumbs tend to hit the wrong keys, for the extra £70 I think I'll make the jump to the 4S, my 3GS is very near dying. The battery lasts half a day and the camera doesn't work at all!

13. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

In all seriousness, I would never use Siri. It's an awesome feature, but it's not an EVERYDAY use feature FOR ME, so it would be a waste of money. Is it overrated...a little, but that doesn't negate the fact that it's an impressive piece of technology. The camera SEEMS to be one heck of a camera, but it alone isn't worth the upgrade either. The iP4 pictures are great in my book. The wireless AirPlay is a bad ars feature, but that's what I have my iPad 2 for. I'll only use AirPlay at home where my iPad will always be which thanks to iCloud will be able to access whatever is on my iPhone anyway.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I think that some might be underestimating Siri. People typically talk much faster than they type - just think of having a conversation by text versus the phone. Also, it sounds like Apple will expand Siri over time, no doubt adding more functions.

My only concern about Siri is the need for a network connection. I had hoped that Apple would put as many of the routines (e.g., dication routines) as possible in ROM, rather like Apple did with QuickDraw on the Mac. Having to use a network, particularly marginally reliable ones like those where I live in Scotland, could make Siri frustrating. Indeed, I hope Apple create a voice recognition / natural language parsing chip for the iPhone 5.

15. rowanmwilliams macrumors member

rowanmwilliams

I would love to see how it handles an Aussie accent. It mentioned it works with English us, uk, and aus in the keynote and I also noticed when the BBC was doing a hands on it used a male British voice (something you can not change?). So does this mean it's changed to work specifically with Aussie accent and possibly lingo? Does anyone know of a hands on with an Aussie?

16. LaunchpadBS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Voice recognition and South African accents don't work at all from my experience so maybe Siri is a definate waste for me :(
    Damn my proper English(UK) :p grammar and pronunciation!

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Agreed VulchR :)

People just lack the type of vision to think of what Siri could actually BECOME down the road.

I mean think of when the first iPhone 2g was introduced, some people laughed at it, did anyone have the vision to think of what an amazing device it would become 5 generations later? Nope...

The same will happen with Siri as well. Give it some time guys its just a first generation... 4-5 years and I can guarantee that Siri will be an absolute monster :D

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Siri is a gimmick to show off your friends to see how cool your phone is.

I bet using in real life will be frustrating and annoying.

19. ap3604 macrumors 68000

What I said:
    Very next post:
    See what I mean? :p

20. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I see the vision. I just don't believe it works perfect. It will just be a like wow this would be great if it worked.

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i feel its worth it for me if i can sell my iPhone 4 and not have to pay a dime. I have to go "talk" to AT&T today and try to get my upgrade date rolled back like so many others. The $600 is not worth it not by a long-shot. Ill be happy with my 4, and next year ill have another upgrade so I'm covered for the 5 lol.

22. mamalemon macrumors newbie

Well for what it's worth, the 4S page on the Apple Singapore website doesn't even mention Siri as one of the 4S's features, methinks we may not even get it (at least not yet). Even less reason to get one :(