Is Siri automation already functional?

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by chfilm, Jun 4, 2018.

1. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

this for me is the most exciting announcement of today’s keynote.. is it already possible to create your own workflows? Or do apps need to be updated in the fall in order for this to work?

2. johnyslats, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018

johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Third party apps will need to be updated to support although it is currently possible to create some now using Apple’s native apps.

It’s achieved via the settings app currently and not the dedicated interface outlined in the keynote so will no doubt get fleshed out over subsequent betas

3. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

I see, so still very early stages..
    I’m excited about it!
    Hope it will work nicely with many apps, and especially maybe as a work around for current language limitations when working with foreign languages, like speaking a German Siri command containing an english app title... my worst annoyance with Siri these days!
    Do you know if it’ll allow for us to speak our own commands which she’ll remember from then on?

4. bill-p macrumors 68000

Apps need to be updated. Some beta APIs are out to integrate the functionality. I'm trying a few things out with my own apps but the app hook is a bit convoluted and quite buggy right now. I hope Apple will be able to fix these bugs soon, plus there may be great things coming from other developers. This will probably be quite nice when it's 6 months after iOS 12 is out of beta.

5. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Only with the suggested actions in Siri settings. The Shortcuts app will be downloadable.

I did notice that the suggested actions as they are now do support some third party apps - namely Twitter.

6. johnyslats macrumors 6502a

johnyslats

Certainly seems like this will be possible to get around the language conflict. You simply select the app/task and speak out the phrase you will invoke with Siri in future. She offers up suggestions depending on the task but you must define a command with your voice

7. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Download the workflow app and you’ll get all the features except Siri support.

8. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

This is one of the things I’m looking forward to most. If this was fully working right now then I’d probably have installed the beta on my iPhone X despite that being a terrible idea.

9. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I use Workflow to add entries into the Health app and it works really well and fast.

10. chfilm thread starter macrumors 68000

chfilm

Haha you missed the crucial point of Siri being involved there ;)