Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Has anyone noticed that recently Siri is getting worse? I often find that when dictating emails or messages that Siri initially puts down the correct words, but then changes it. Often to something completely different (à la Monty Python, but not so funny). Very random. Words that were there... disappear when Siri finishes. So Siri heard correctly, and then “miscorrected” it.
Then there is the difference between dictating on my old iPad Air and dictating on my iPhone 7+. On the iPad dictation is not as good.
Of course the secret is to enunciate like Julie Andrews, which I have been doing and now I’ve got a cramp in my jaw. ಠ_ಠ
Has anyone else noticed the deterioration in Siri?
Cheers,
Dave
Painfully dictated and mostly corrected on my iPad.

Reactions: nesailor

SallyMJ

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Has anyone noticed that recently Siri is getting worse? I often find that when dictating emails or messages that Siri initially puts down the correct words, but then changes it. Often to something completely different (à la Monty Python, but not so funny). Very random. Words that were there... disappear when Siri finishes. So Siri heard correctly, and then “miscorrected” it.
Then there is the difference between dictating on my old iPad Air and dictating on my iPhone 7+. On the iPad dictation is not as good.
Of course the secret is to enunciate like Julie Andrews, which I have been doing and now I’ve got a cramp in my jaw. ಠ_ಠ
Cheers,
Dave
[doublepost=1526586459][/doublepost]
Yes, absolutely, Siri is getting dumber!! I use the dictation mode almost exclusively for texting, calendar entries, Internet searches, etc. I make a lot more typos with my fingers typing.

Siri on my previous iPhone wasn’t perfect, but was mostly good. Siri would learn how to pronounce names in my address book, etc.

But when I got a “better“ iPhone, I immediately found that Siri was dumber by about 10 light years dumber. This Siri doesn’t learn. And I’ve had the exact same experience as you: when I finally get Siri to write the correct words, if I’m not paying attention before I send the text, she will change it to something that makes absolutely no sense. As you said, she “miscorrects” herself. There’s also weird “Politically correct“ stuff going on. When I say “he,“ Siri almost always changes it to “she.” This didn’t happen on my last phone. She seems to want to correct my English major grammar. She’ll change the verb tense, and virtually always when you dictate a plural, Siri will give you a singular + apostrophe +s Example: Three “family’s are there.”Some common 3 syllable words, she changes to two or three small words. It’s as if her brain is shorted out. She’s worse on this iphone then she was on my old one. It seems that it’s harder for her to recognize English than before.

I wonder if they fired their previous staff in October 2017, and that the people now working on her don’t speak English as their first language, can’t spell, and don’t understand grammar.

I hate it, it really complicates my life, rather than streamlining it. If Apple does not address this, I will strongly consider jumping ship. It’s just not worth it.

SallyMJ

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2018
Cheers,
Dave
Yes!! I thought I was the only one who thought. The smartest Siri I’ve had was with my very first iPhone. I think it was a 5C. She’s gotten dumber with every Successive iPhone. Minutes ago, I dictated “distraction.“ I speak pretty clearly. And Siri wrote “Destruction.” Of course she did. The two words are so similar, I’m sure everybody mixes them up.

The “plural’s” drive me nuts. So Apple employees don’t know how to spell or write a grammatical sentence?

As others have said, the worst part is when you see Siri has changed the words after having written them correctly. I have sent out correct text. And later I discovered that Siri had completely changed the text she had written for me that had been correct. Until she second-guessed me and herself.

It feels like a malevolent AI.
Why does Apple continue to feature Siri on their phones, when it seems the never upgrade her or fix her bugs. the only thing she’s good at is making spelling and grammar errors, and conspiring behind my back to change what I’ve written, after the fact?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.