Is Siri gonna come to Mac OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by v2club, Oct 22, 2011.

1. v2club macrumors regular

I would be amazing if there were Siri for Mac! So what do you guys think, what is the chance of Siri coming to Mac OS X?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nobody knows for sure or a timeline
    But my guess is that eventually there will be something similar on the Mac
    When that will be is anyone's guess, but I would say prolly not until it is refined a lot more on the Mobile platform

3. ThomasBoss macrumors regular

It's weird talking to a computer lol
    People talk into phones anyway

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I would say yes. I could easily ask my computer to do things for me while working on other documents.

Also think Star Trek... Strange talking to a computer?

5. gordoalac macrumors newbie

I sure hope so, Im ready to bring HAL into my world.

6. B.LI macrumors regular

It would be amazing, also hoping Siri to be available on iPad :p

7. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

What's a Max OS?

It would be awesome if Apple brought Siri to Macs!

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Given Apple's recent strategy to bring iOS features to OS X, it wouldn't be that crazy of an idea to have Siri in OS X. I could see simple commands like asking what the weather is and then opening dashboard or something telling you what the weather is. I don't think we'll see stuff where you can tell Siri to open an app (at least not yet) but for simple tasks, would be exciting to see.

9. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

I think that would be awesome. I'd love to be able to talk to the computer. It would be so much more powerful than on the phone as well, so it will be capable of much more complex tasks.

10. Kafka macrumors 6502

11. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

That would be great, especially the dictation :)

12. iGobbleoff macrumors member

How do you get around not having an internet connection each time?

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I would be happy to tell my Mac to write up an essay!

14. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

You guys are dreaming.

Siri is the only justification for iPhone 4S. That's why they nerfed it from other iOS devices. They don't want to spread it to all devices; otherwise there's no reason to buy a 4S. Besides, it's well known that Apple doesn't really care about its computer line anymore. They keep releasing them because they know they have no choice; the market wants them. But XServe died, the poly MacBook died, and the Mac Pro might as well be on life support. Now there's stories of Apple possibly poisoning the MacBook Pro line. Might as well refer to them as Apple Taylor Moore at this point.

My guess: you might see some derivative of Siri on iPad 3, iPhone 5, and the iPod Touch 6 in the future. Maybe even the AppleTV, if they even bother to keep updating it. But the mobile devices are where their innovations lie going forward.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's really funny! Just because Apple changes its computer lineup to accommodate changes in consumer demands is certainly not an indication that they don't care about their computer division. They still sell about a million Macs a month, and they wouldn't have bothered to release Lion if they didn't have plans to continue developing the computer line. Lion clearly shows some convergence of function between iOS and Mac OS, indicating a more seamless compatibility between computers and other devices in the future. Some people freak out if Apple doesn't update every device exactly when they're expected to. They update and release new products when they believe the timing is right, not when some elements of the public thinks so.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Worst comment I've ever heard.
    Xserve died because it's aimed at corporations and businesses, most of which already have servers from other companies. What kind of a prosumer would buy a 1U-mounted server?
    Polycarbonate MacBook died because a much thinner and improved MacBook Air is way more efficient and cost effective. Derp.

MacBook Pros are refreshed every 14 months and are the BEST SELLING LAPTOP in the US.
    iMacs are refreshed every 14 months and are the BEST SELLING DESKTOPS in the US.
    I do not know of a computer that can rival the Mac Pro's sheer number of cores (up to 12!).
    Mac Mini is wildly popular with switchers and the HTPC community.

Apple would be insane to abandon this and go mobile only.

17. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

And yet, you've got people asking for:

- An iPad screen on a notebook
    - LaunchPad to be the only interface for the notebooks
    - A touchscreen Thunderbolt Display
    - A touchscreen iMac
    - A notebook that has no way to use any sort of optical or external flash media. Just a consumption device designed to download everything even though we're in the middle of internet speed caps-a-plenty. That's right...basically, an iPad.

Apple released the 2010 MacBook Air. And what happened? Overpriced, poor specs compared to its competition, no backlight, totally a ripoff compared to the 2011. It's like they just didn't care.

Apple refreshed the MacBook Pro with the 2011 version. And what happened? Sloppy thermal paste, overheating, uneven keyboards, poor screens....

Apple released Lion. And what happened? Numerous reviews blasting how it feels like a step backwards - a step towards some iOS computing bastardization. Changes in color scheme, changes in interface to appeal to an iOS crowd.

Apple released the MacBook Air with a piss poor screen color gamut, poor travel, and no upgradeability. While it's a solid machine, people constantly comment on how the screen is inferior to even the iPad's screen for some reason.

Apple continues to ignore USB 3.0 even though every competitor has adopted it for its backwards compatibility.

Apple released Thunderbolt amidst tons of issues with connectivity. I lost count over how many patches they've released.

When was the last time they had a Keynote about a Mac computer? AGES ago. Yet it seems every time they turn around they've having one about the iPad, the iPhone, the iPod, the AppleTV...pretty much every iOS device.

There was once a time when Apple and their computers stayed ahead of the curve. Now, Asus has caught up with them. While I'm not buying one, that Zenbook is enough to get people paying attention.

18. GGJstudios, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The vast majority of computer buyers are not asking for touchscreen anything. Touchscreen on any laptop or desktop display would be horrible ergonomics, as you'd have to keep your arm raised, rather than resting your wrists on a wristpad or desktop.
    There may have been isolated cases of defective models, as there are with ANY model of any device ever made by any manufacturer, but the vast majority of MBPs did not have such issues.
    Again, you take a viewpoint held by a small minority and try to assign it to the masses. If Lion was so poorly received, explain the record sales. :rolleyes:
    Again, the minority speaks. Despite your inaccurate "gloom and doom" picture, they sold like hotcakes.

You can go on and on, trying to claim that Apple's computer line is in decline, but the facts disprove everything you're saying. Yes, there will always be a minority that dislike anything made by Apple. You can't please all the people all the time. But Apple sales figures prove that your theory is baseless.

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I would like to see siri come to OS X; it would be a huge upgrade to voice control, which can do a lot already. I really think it would be a great feature to have the machine recognize natural speaking to interpret commands and dictate voice to text.

I see it happening.

20. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

That's because sheep buy anything that has an Apple on it. Doesn't make it any good. VIZIO televisions sell like crack on a Brooklyn corner too, doesn't make them any good.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1213787&highlight=macbook+touchscreen

There are people, and I would submit they are the majority now thanks to iPad, who now want to touch every damn thing.

21. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wrong reason, lol.

22. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

There was a promotional video put out by apple a while back (pre iPod era) demoing a man using essentially a iPad/macbook hybrid that he talked to as a personal assistant with news, email, phone calls etc.

I think it's a matter of time. I wonder how much Steve pushed these new technologies to help people with disabilities, speech assisted tech and such, knowing his possible need as well as the need of others.

RESPONSE to R.J.S

Awesome to tell Mac SIRI to add an appointment or change something as you get the call, or email, without having to open iCal, or what not, although not a need, sure would be nice to have.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like millions of Apple customers, I'm no sheep. I've been using computers over 40 years and I've been buying personal computers since they were first available. I have no brand loyalty at all. I buy only what meets my needs. I buy Macs, not because they have an Apple logo on them, but because Mac OS X meets my needs better than Windows. My primary Mac is a 3 1/2 year old MBP running Leopard which has performed reliably and trouble-free since the day I bought it. I could never say that about any of the dozens of notebooks or desktops I've bought in the past. I don't need, have or want an iPad, iPod or iPhone. I don't need or want touchscreen. Siri would be helpful if it means I can dictate posts like this, among other things, saving the aggravation of my CTS.
    Just because there are a few who like to complain about everything, doesn't make Apple products bad, either. If they were bad, people would stop buying them. There's plenty of competition out there. That's the nature of a free market: if you want to succeed, give the consumers what they need/want. If you fail to meet their needs, someone else will. Apple's success is proof of the fact that they meet consumers' needs, not that they've managed to find over a million "sheep" per month to buy their Macs.

24. Jazojas12 macrumors regular

I'd like to see Siri on Mac. Internet searches could be faster. You could ask it to play/pause certain songs/albums. And hopefully people would spell better haha.
    I wonder if it would make much difference on battery if the mic was always on. It would be cool just to say Siri and your command rather than activating it by touch.

25. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I think voice commands are the next big thing for all digital devices advantage is it snot so heavily keyword based like the others and ties into apps like Wolframs search.