Is Siri really coming officially to earlier iDevices?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moargolems, Oct 18, 2011.

1. moargolems macrumors regular

I hear alot of people saying Apple will release Siri for earlier iDevices after she's done with its beta phase.

Can someone confirm this by pointing me to a solid source about this matter, or is it just another pointless rumor?

2. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Um there is no rumour, that is simply not true.

It MAY be possible with a jailbreak but nothing official.

3. moargolems thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I thought of in the first place. Was just curious.

And about the jailbreak method, I'm already starting to doubt it. Seems easy to load the Siri interface into your device, but without authenticating it with Apple's servers it's as useful as a piece of turd.

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Exactly, and if they do manage to get anything other than an iPhone 4S to authenticate with Apple's servers, you can be sure Apple will quickly patch it, if its even possible to begin with.

5. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Siri WAS available for earlier devices as an app...which stopped working on Friday when the 4S came out.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

7. fraggot macrumors 6502

They could easily fake authentication I'm sure, but I'm sure Apple could easily patch it on their end without any type of update to the iPhone itself.

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

There is SOME hope that the iPad 2 might get it eventually, but even that is a stretch.

As Apple's servers have struggled to keep up with Siri usage during this launch, I've come to realize the huge investment in the server back-end that Apple must have made, and is still making, as the iPhone 4S rolls out and they tweak and improve the system.

That's not something they are going to just give away for free, particularly since enabling Siri on older devices would suddenly introduce millions upon millions of new Siri users to the already overtaxed servers. Those who bought earlier generation devices are getting all the other features of iOS 5 and that's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

One of the reasons I paid to upgrade was to get this specific feature. I'm fine if they hand it out to the masses, but only if their servers don't blow up. Otherwise I'd be kinda unhappy about it.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Siri was the main feature for people to get the 4s so no chance anybody else gets it