Is Siri really that stupid?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Pagemakers, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Siri play Queen, another one bites the dust. Apple Music plays another one bites the dust by the cast of Glee.

So we try again....

Siri, play another one bites the dust by Queen. Siri says "sorry I don't understand".

Talk about frustrating.

2. MentalFloss, Jul 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

Yes, Siri is indeed that stupid.

For a long time (basically since Siri was first introduced), I have been trying to get Siri to play the album "So" by Peter Gabriel. Usually, it ended up playing "Souled Out" by Tower of Power instead (sometimes I can see how it correctly understands "so", but then decides not to follow my orders anyway).

Now I just tried it and ended up with a compilation album called "Soul", which is not bad, but a) is not quite like Gabriel's "So" and b) is not even im my library.

Siri is an idiot when it comes to music. Basically the only "cool" thing that works is what Eddy Cue showed at the last keynote.

3. Basilfawltyone macrumors regular

Siri - Can you call me an ambulance
    I will call you anambulance from now on

4. Zxxv macrumors 68040

playing queen another one bites the dust using your first example

5. MentalFloss macrumors 6502a

MentalFloss

LOL. "Hey, Siri, I am hungry!" - "Hi Hungry, I am Siri!"

Ok, to be fair, Siri is smart enough to search for restaurants then.

But the one thing that really bugs me is that the old pre-Siri voice commands worked much better with music. I don't think they ever got anything wrong. Nearly four years after its introduction, Siri still hasn't reached that level of quality. And it still completely fails the Turing test. "Remind me to upload the video" - Ok, I'll remind you" - "Set an alert for this" - "I am not sure I understand".

I keep saying it: My minor subject at the university was Communications Research and Phonetics. Lots of machine translation and language recognition. Put me in charge of the Siri team for one year, and Siri will show signs of intelligence.

6. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Are you in the UK as a matter of interest?

On my iphone siri says it's playing and plays nothing. It only works (but fails as I indicated in my first post) on my watch.

All my mates here can replicate the problem.

7. Zxxv macrumors 68040

yep, should say UK next to or under my name.

8. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

Not on the mobile version it doesn't.

Odd. I get Glee singling the song!!

Attached Files: