Is Skype working for you now on 3g and will you use it?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lemonademaker, Jan 29, 2010.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    just wondering if Skype will be an calling alternative when it 3g enabled?

2. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I've used Skype on 3G a long time ago. The quality is pretty bad most of the time to be honest. AT&T's 3G network has too much latency and other factors that don't make the experience as good as using the regular cell network.

3. kicko macrumors 65816

To answer the question, No not yet.

I believe we need to wait for the 3.2 OS update as well as skype to update their app.

4. pugnut macrumors 6502a

There is no need for a software update to allow it to work. It worked fine, on Skype, until Skype updated and blocked it. Like Fring and iCall, which work now, without software updates. It was a block on their end.

5. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

I use Skype on iPhone instead of AT&T in my home as often as I can because the AT&T signal drops out regularly. I get far better sound quality and calls remain connected with Skype over WiFi.

My 3G experience is limited with Skype. Obviously, I won't use Skype over 3G at home. In areas where there is a strong 3G signal and I am not moving, I expect it will be sufficient, but how often am I not mobile? Until 3G (or 4G) becomes as ubiquitous as GSM, I don't see this as an alternative for truly mobile talk apps.

6. kicko macrumors 65816

I thought since it was blocked it was a software feature. I dont use skype really but if it were to work on 3g I would start if the quality was ok.

Now i can save 10,000 rollover min. :) that i will never use.

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I have a jailbroken 3G, and use My3G to allow for calling over skype. I've used it rarely and it wasn't that bad. Skype isnt a much used app on my phone, I would use it more if we could video chat, but I dont hold my breathe.

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Are you sure it is a server setting for Skype? It was for Fring but that doesn't mean Skype didn't code the setting in the app.

9. KidPub macrumors member

No voicemail

I also use Skype on 3G with My3G, call quality is excellent in my area. One of the reasons I jailbroke my phone was to run Skype in the background. Unfortunately there's a significant bug in the iPhone app that prevents it from routing to voicemail, rendering inbound Skype calls nearly useless. Until that's fixed, Skype is still fine for low-cost outbound dialing, but not usable as a dedicated VoIP solution.

Perry