Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No, Snow Leopard is not that bad. I upgraded (no clean installs) 4 machines with no major issues. Each machine took about 45 mintues to upgrade. When done, all were working fine.

I did have to upgrade a few third party applications and drivers but that's about it.

fehhkk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you're expecting lots of new stuff in SL, you'll be disappointed.

Other than that, it's definitely speedier than regular Leopard.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
I know 10.X.0 releases are buggy, I upgraded a ibook to leopard the day it came out. but I did a clean install of SL yesterday and I am very pleased, WiFi issues are fixed, wake up and sleep are faster, so is restart/boot and all that jazz, and i regained 9gb of hard drive space. yes it is true SL is a big service pack, but that is what apple said it was all along, and give any bugs your having some time I bet 10.6.1 will fix a lot of issues.

Define "bad". Define "everyone". Do you know, EVERYONE?. :D

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
xbench is a joke and hasn't been updated in eons. And I got back 10GB of disk space when I upgraded. YMMV.

Unless you compared bytes, that 10 GB is false. It's probably more like what Apple advertised. SL counts GB differently. That's right, you who got something crazy like 50 GB only got back a few GB due to the way SL counts GB.

My only beefs are Safari and GarageBand '08 are both pretty volatile. Safari crashes just about once a day, and GB is a crapshoot.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I think that for most people this upgrade will be quite nice with maybe a couple of hiccups. For me it has been a nightmare.
-A high end encoding system that I have hooked up doesn't work anymore.
-EyeTV will only work if I pay ElGato another pile of money to buy a 10.6 compatible software package.
-No more AppleTalk which is the only way to directly connect to an OS9 machine.
-Stability issues with MS excel spreadsheets.

Other than the EyeTV nonsense I need the rest of these things all day long to get my work done. I'll probably upgrade my laptop and my home machine, but no way am I going to be able to use 10.6 for work for some time.

You must be using EyeTV 2.0? I have 3.0 and it runs beautifully, however I have a 24" iMac and it's my only and main TV in my home as I no longer use conventional TV's so for me I would pay to upgrade my EyeTV if I am actually going to use it. I can assure you it runs without a hitch in SL.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think that for most people this upgrade will be quite nice with maybe a couple of hiccups. For me it has been a nightmare.
-A high end encoding system that I have hooked up doesn't work anymore.
-EyeTV will only work if I pay ElGato another pile of money to buy a 10.6 compatible software package.
-No more AppleTalk which is the only way to directly connect to an OS9 machine.
-Stability issues with MS excel spreadsheets.

Other than the EyeTV nonsense I need the rest of these things all day long to get my work done. I'll probably upgrade my laptop and my home machine, but no way am I going to be able to use 10.6 for work for some time.

No offense, but why would you upgrade a work-critical machine with a just-released .0 version of an OS? Work machines are not like home machines - the value of the newest and shiniest is a lot lower, and the value of everything working as expected is a lot higher.

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
Unless you compared bytes, that 10 GB is false. It's probably more like what Apple advertised. SL counts GB differently. That's right, you who got something crazy like 50 GB only got back a few GB due to the way SL counts GB.

My only beefs are Safari and GarageBand '08 are both pretty volatile. Safari crashes just about once a day, and GB is a crapshoot.
Yeah yeah, I know, GB vs GiB.

But 7GB = about 7.5GiB, so there's still more space coming back. Not that I care about a few measly GB (man, imagine saying that 10 years ago).

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
No offense, but why would you upgrade a work-critical machine with a just-released .0 version of an OS? Work machines are not like home machines - the value of the newest and shiniest is a lot lower, and the value of everything working as expected is a lot higher.

I'm not an idiot, so a little offense taken, but I'll get over it.
The single machine in question is the only one of several used for work that we chose to upgrade as a test, and the advertised advances should have been worth the upgrade. We buy tools to get the job done, and when better tools come out that should make our work more productive we buy those. In this case I was shocked at just how much stuff became broken with this update. Normally downgrading or restoring to the previous version isn't that big of a deal, and honestly in all the years of doing this stuff I've never had to downgrade an OS. There were a couple hiccups in the restore, but we got it done and back to 10.5
I will have to choose another machine to upgrade down the line and work out these bugs when I have more time to do so, but I don't see all the machines migrating to 10.6 any time soon.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
I love SL! Works much better than Leopard.

- Spotlight doesn't randomly crash or beachball at me.
- Apps load faster
- Shutdown WAY FASTER
- Wakes and finds Wifi WAY FASTER
- Safari is snappier (especially Top Sites where it's actually usable now)

That's just naming a few.

dL

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
10.6 > 10.5.8 IMO. It is snappier, and seems more stable. YMMV of course but for me and for my SO it has been a painless upgrade. Both our MacBooks are more responsive. Dunno what to do with my G4 now. I want a Mac Pro to replace it but cannot justify one. However I am thinking it will make a nice box for some commodity PC hardware and a good Linux/BSD server.

boom2085

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2006
Tacoma WA. USA.
So far so good for me. I did a clean install, and restored from time machine. And everything is working great. I have not had a crash yet, and the whole system seems not to lag as much. Very happy so far.
Goooooo Apple!

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I'm happy with it. I would have been less happy if Apple had charged the usual $169 (or whatever the usual upgrade price is).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.