Is sleep necessary?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Multipass, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Multipass macrumors member

I use my 2014 MacBook Air in clamshell mode, connected to an external monitor.

I have it set so that the monitor shuts off after 15 minutes, however, I have checked the box next to "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off". This seems to stop my MBA from ever going to sleep mode.

I like that because backups still work and downloads/uploads still continue.

I'm just curious if it's ok to have a closed MBA connected to an external monitor and external power not go into sleep mode?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Yup. Perfectly fine. The only thing it might put some extra wear on is the fan, and those are cheap and easy to replace. And the fan might actually last longer if it's not frequently turned on and off.

3. Multipass thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Truth is, I didn't even know there was a fan in the MBA, it's so quiet that I've never heard it. :D

How would I know if the fan stopped working? Will I get some type of warning that the computer is overheating?

4. motrek macrumors 68020

I don't know exactly what happens but don't worry about it. If the computer gets too hot it will turn off.

5. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

transistors do degrade over time, but you will probably not notice it unless you keep your computer for a certain amount of years (hours running). I used to watch old server chips loose cycles in the old days in a few years. Better cooling and thermal shut down prevents most people from noticing, but it is possible.

6. lostgear macrumors member

I thought Power Nap allowed backups and updates to occur when the Mac is sleeping? Therefore no need to prevent it from sleeping.

7. Multipass thread starter macrumors member

I have power nap turned on, yet in the morning when I wake up my MBA my latest Time Machine backup will be 10 PM, for example. So it doesn't seem to work well.

Plus I don't think power nap was ever supposed to work with other apps like Chrome downloads.

8. motrek macrumors 68020

I wouldn't worry about this. I've never heard of modern electronics failing due to electron migration. I assume it takes decades. My last computer was working 24/7 for 10 years when I sold it.