Is Sling Media done developing Slingplayer for OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Aug 24, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

There are lots of oustanding bugs... and slingbox.com has features (like HD streaming) that Slingplayer doesn't have. I know that we're going into this web-based world, but I'd much rather have a dedicated app than a web app. They have taken away sling community now... so there's really not a great sounding board for asking questions like this. Hopefully someone knows. Thanks!

2. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Slingplayer 2.0 to ever appear for Mac. It seems like since they were acquired by Echostar, the whole Sling line has basically been abandoned. Even on the PC side they haven't really updated the software in a couple years, aside from some minor point releases (and it's been a year since that).

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I'm not holding my breath... A real bummer though....

I don't like using slingbox.com (doesn't even work with 64 bit Safari), and the app is mediocre at best.

4. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Sling Media is douche bag company. Either they stopped funding development or they have the slowest developers in the world.

5. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Slingmedia IMO will eventually go web based only and their hardware will be built into the Echostar boxes, which is useless to me in the UK.

I've replaced My Slingbox Pro with a Monsoon Vulkano, its still in its early days.

Players for Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad & Android phones.

The quality of the picture when streaming seems way better and the player apps are free.

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/mm/

6. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

The only thing that is missing for me on the Vulkano (or whatever ridiculous way they spelled it) is a built in tuner. If they had added in a OTA/ClearQAM tuner (not so useful for outside of the US, I know, but...) I would have bought one the first day they were available. Having to use a IR blaster in a remote location seems like too much of a headache for me.