Is SLS the right choice for my business?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Filuren, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Filuren macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors,

I'm currently looking for a piece of software or a small server that could deal with some of our problems. I've tried playing a little with SLS, but not much.

I'm running a small company with a staff of 3, including me, and we need to share things like e-mail, calendar and files (mainly documents and pictures).

We get a lot of e-mails everyday that we need to take care of, and we sort them in folders. We all use the same e-mail, but currently it's not possible to see what the others do, so I need a server (and I've been looking at SLS) to handle this for us.
    Is it possible to setup SLS as an e-mail server, making it possible for each of us three, to get, sort and send e-mails?
    So whenever APerson make a change, I and BPerson can see it as well?

I got the calendar working, but is it possible to always add the same two people for new calendars/meetings/schedules etc?

The last thing, is it possible to store all kind of contents there? We want to work at our homes, which means we have to connect either through a URL (or IP) or access it through AFP/SMB.
    Would it course any problems for a Windows to log in, change a document and re-upload it? The type of disc is HFS+

Last question: is it possible to change maximum connections of 3 to like 5? :)

Thanks for taking the time to read these questions.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I think you'd be better served with a cloud solution like Google Apps for Business and maybe Zendesk to care for your clients.

You can do what you mention with SLS but there's quite a bit of work in the setup and maintenance. If you don't have experience with admin'ing a server you can loose a lot of time in the beginning getting off the ground. The first few months are the worst but it gets better after than.

Google Apps tends to be something you can get up and running within a day or so and most of the training can be finished in the first week, two at the most.