Is SMC reset necessary?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shangdi, Dec 2, 2013.

1. shangdi macrumors newbie

I have MacBook pro retina 13" 2013 and few days ago installed Fan Control and removed it on the same day without changing any fan settings. Yesterday I saw some suspicious warnings in Console and read that some more steps are needed to fully uninstall Fan Control. So I removed
    /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon
    and there was no
    /Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane
    Now I am wondering whether I should do SMC reset to completely delete Fan Control.. I see that it might be harmful, so my question would be how to know if Fan Control has made any changes on my machine? Maybe facts that there was no /Library/PreferencePanes/Fan Control.prefPane or that I did not change anything mean that SMC reset is unnecessary? That is, I am not sure how Fan Control works, i.e. if it changes anything else than fan settings (which, I guess, are fine).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it may not be necessary, performing a SMC reset is not harmful in any way.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

3. case2001 macrumors 6502

Not trying to hijack this thread, however I had a similar issue with iStat Menus.

I have a MacBook Air 2013 i5. I have been running iStat menus. I noticed my temperature was not updating. I tried uninstalling and re-installing iStat without success. Then I rest SMC. Now working fine.

I am not sure why this happened.

I have run iStat menus for quite a while without problems. I would not have noticed there was an issue without iStat running. Is this a common problem with iStat or Fan control programs?

Thanks..

4. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Probably not a problem, sounds like the SMC reset some of the sensors perhaps.

5. case2001 macrumors 6502

Well, it must have been. It has been working great now. Oh well.....