Is smcFanControl safe?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pngwyn, May 17, 2009.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

So I find that, more often than not, my MBP (late 08) gets incredibly hot and overheated). So I heard about this program smcFanControl and have been using it since, and it really does a good job keeping my computer cool.

I have the left/right fans running at 6000 RPM (the max), is is SAFE for my fans to be running that fast? Will it significantly lower the longevity of the fans/computer at all?

2. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Was the CPU's temp above normal range? It could be due to a hardware fault. I had a first release alu iMac with a faulty tempature sencer that apple replaced.

( you could do a hardware check by booting up holding the D key)

Running you fans at high speeds may wear them out slightly quicker but the rest of the system may last slightly longer if things were really getting too hot.

3. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

If you really need it... but if you need it to be running that fast then usually there is a problem... I have my MacBook Pro's fans running at 2500RPM... and that can usually keep the temperature under 60 Degrees Cenigrade...

J

4. bennyboyt macrumors member

What's deemed too hot?

My mac usually runs at CPU temp of 60-80 when being stressed by Football Manager or when doing some CPU intensive rendering with After Effects, should I be worried at all?

5. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Warranty

I have talked to apple about this program and they claim it might work but it void's the warranty is anything goes wrong with the computer.